Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

differant kind of chimney cap

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
has anyone seen one of these? it was on top of a customer's chimney,they now have a gas insert.this damper that was on the top of the chimney was staying open all the time and birds were getting down the chimney.i replaced it with a regular cap with a screen around it.while i was replacing it i noticed the cable ran down from the top of the chimney, and was secured to the back of the firebox.i had first thought this was some sort of safety device,however there was no interlock between this cable and the gas insert.of all the houses i have worked in i have never seen this type of chimney cap.any ideas as to what the purpose of the cable is would help. 

Comments

• adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Here ya go!

They are usually used when an older original damper has broken down below. Check it out: http://www.lyemance.com/lyemance_fireplace_damper.aspx

Adam
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Top Of Flue Dampers:

Where I work, back a few years ago, it was the rage among some chimney masons. They were supposed to be energy savers. They do block off the flues. They had a hook installed on the side of the firebox to hook the chain on. If you forgot to unhook the chain, the house would fill up with smoke.

I believe that it should have been removed for a gas fireplace set.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I am with you Chris...

Looks like a death trap to me, especially with the number of nat gas log retrofits happening. I also didn't see any UL or NFPA approvals on the web site, but I didn't bother to drill down either.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    UL Listings:

Oh, they must have a listing. No one would ever sell, buy or install something that doesn't have  a UL listing would they?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I have two

Had a problem with two fireplaces sharing same chimney one would suck smoke down the cold dead flue while trying to burn in the other no matter which one you used. Was not a huge issue once the flue warmed.   And they work great. Air, and water tight. Wont freeze shut.,

I would think someone installing a gas conversion would make sure the flue is clear with a cable hanging down in the fire box. First give away IF they look at the chimney is there is something on top of the protruding flue tile from the crown,

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.