Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions on window A\C install

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
This may be a dumb question but I figure its better to sound dumb than to be sorry. 

I'm planning on installing a 14,500 btu air conditioner in one of my old windows.  My concern is the A\C doesn't have any support brackets under it as others I've seen in the past.

<strong>This unit weights 102 pounds and takes up 24 inches of my 28" wide window.  Should I fab some support brackets out of aluminum angle to support the air conditioner or will this poor 100+ year old window support it fine?</strong>

Its going in the window on the right, but the window is the same style but a little narrower than the one on the left which can be seen better.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Got to admit

I'd be inclined to create some sort of support bracket.  Not because of the weight -- the window sill should take that just fine, unless you've got a rot problem -- but to provide stability against tipping into or out of the room.  The ones like that which I've seen depend on the sash at the top to stabiise them -- and the sash just might not be able to take that much push in and out.

But I've always been a belt and braces kind of guy anyway...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    One of the reasons

to put supports is also to anchor the case to the frame so it provides a bit of security as well. I'd suggest that you look into a mini-split heat pump for this as you can then enjoy the window, be b=more comfortable and save money in the operation, and it will heat!
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    minisplit

Thank you for the responses.

A mini split is not an option.  The window A\C is from a friend for a good price, as I cannot afford a mini-split at this time :(

Trust me, theres nothing I'd rather more than having a system I don't have to try and pull out of the window every year and store somewhere.  Especially after seeing the insane efficiency some of the systems are getting these days though  I'd probably never use the heat feature.  I like my steam too much. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Build a support shelf for it

i use a 14,000 BTU unit in my dining room to cool my first floor. I don't know how much it weighs but it takes two people to carry it from the garage and but it 9n the window. i did not want that weight pushing against the sash on a 90 yr old window.

My unit sits in a window that is right above a basement window and probably a bit over 6 ft above the cellar window sill. I use a 2X4 that angles up from that basement window sill to a plywood shelf that supports the AC just fine. The plywood shelf has a 2X2 under it that rests on the sill between the sash and storm window and is screwed into the sill. Once installed that window is very secure and the setup has ridden out a hurricane and many northeasters with no problem at all.

I painted the shelf and support white to match the house trim and it looks just fine. Installing and removing the support system takes about 10 minutes every spring and fall.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Window AC Installs.

You need a bracket of some sort.

I love window units. The real advantage of Window units is that it is almost impossible to keep insects out because you can't effectively seal the sides. The lights inside the room attract "No-See'ums" who have a lovely bite.  And the June Bugs love to whack the screen.

Mini-Splits aren't all that expensive. When I drive by a house in the summertime and I see a window unit, I always wonder how the insects are doing. If and when I ever need an AC unit, it will be a Mini-Split. I've done the window units already.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    support

Hi Bob,

We were thinking about making some triangle style braces out of aluminum angle and bolting them to the sleeve of the unit.  These would then rest against the siding on the house preferably near studs if possible.

This would of course take the pressure off of the window sash.
This discussion has been closed.