Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica Cast iron baseboards?

Hello, we building a new house here in Maine. I have several feet (85 or so) of nice cast iron baseboard radiators that I carefully removed from my OLD house, built in 1920ish. We had a Burnham boiler as well. I had these bead blasted and primed with high tempature primer.

They look exactly like Burnham Base-ray and I plan on measuring them this weekend to compare to Baseray specs.

My plumber noticed that the word UTICA is cast in on the back of these suspects they are UTICA Baseboards and new parts do not exist, or are really hard to get so he cannot use what I have!

Question, are there Utica baseboards? Sorry for the rambling post, just wanted to give some background.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Most likely...

they are utica. About every boiler maker at one time made cast iron radiators or baseboard.
  • Utica Baseboard

Call Utica, they have a great service dept. they can tell you if parts are still available, or of burnham parts interchange
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    curious

what new parts do you need?
  • rloring
    rloring Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    Utica Parts

Thank you for the replies. Yes There are Utica. I was able to mix-n-match and get the lengths I need. I was even able to tap (3/4-14NPT) a few ends to accept a plug.

I am looking for hanger strips and connector sleeves.

Next project is to find a good way to clean these things out.

Thanks again, glad I found this resource.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited February 2012
    Utica Baseboard

The hangers should work, I would buy one connector sleeve, or push nipple, to see if it looks like the older ones you have connecting the baseboards now.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    be sure

room by room load calcs are done in the new house. You have an opportunity to size your BB right only once before it gets a lot more expensive later.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • rloring
    Room Load Calcs

Good point and thank you. My Plumber/Heating team has done that and my part is to build the runs with my existing baseboards.

Can you tell me where I can order some sleeves and hangers to test fit? I know the exact dimensions of the sleeve. I should have kept the original hanger strips but they are gone.

-Rick
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    sorry

I don't know CIBB parts that well. but if your utica/burnham pathway to clarity doesn't work out drop us a message with some specifics and I'll see if our distribution chain has anything.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • mage182
    mage182 Member Posts: 3
    Parts

I was able to get current parts for Burnham CIBB offerings at my local plumbing supply house. Turns out the push nipples and brackets will work with the sections of RadianTrim that I have, but not the old American Standard sections.

Endcaps I have had no luck with. I might have to get creative and make something out of wood.

Let me know if you make any progress.
  • rloring
    Baseboard Hangers

Hello and thank you for the comments so far.

I am still looking for some hanger strips to mount these cast iron baseboards. I have attached an approximation of what I am looking for. Should I just go to a machine shop and get these made? I have about 40' of baseboards to hang in various lengths.
This discussion has been closed.