Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Air Vents

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I have been spending quite a bit of time in medium sized commercial boiler rooms lately. I have been noticing that the majority of the air vents are closed (isolated with a ball valve). I may be peaking into Pandora's box here but, is there a reason for this?

I have always left the vent open figuring if air is in it wants to get out. Why not let it?

My question is, was the vent leaking and someone just closed it rather that fix it or is there a logical reason for closing them?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    compression tanks

Systems with compression rather then diaphragm style tanks, can't have open auto vents. b/c the the air in the tank will eventually absorb into the water in the tank, and then if there is an open auto vent, then it will escape the system. When that happens, you'll feed more water into the boiler, and into the tank eventually water logging the tank.

If the vents are left closed, then the reabsorbed air will come out of solution when the boiler water is heated, and then go back to the tank where it belongs, so long as it's piped right. Usually the tank is connected to an air separator of some kind.

The air vents were probably put in for initial system, and service related air bleeding.
  • Zman
    edited January 2012
    Options

Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder

One of the systems was originally that  open tank type. I was converted at some point. The others were newer systems with diaphram type tanks. The primary air auto vents were closed
    Albert Einstein
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Foaming A.V.'s

I have had some systems, that when first started, would leak water profusely from the A.V.'s Once all air had been removed, they eased vomiting, and their caps were left loose.

On bladder/diaphragm type tanks, the A.V.s should be left open. If they leak constantly, they have debris under their seats and need to be cleaned/serviced.

As FF noted, if it is a compression tank, all A.V.s MUST be closed to avoid removing the air that is compressed. Otherwise, you will end up with a whole new set of problems pertaining to pressure stability and leaking pressure relief valves etc etc.

If it doesn't leak in the on position, I'd leave it open. If it leaks, its a service call.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Zman
    Options
    Thank You

Thanks Mark, That clears it up in my mind
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.