To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

How to properly install a second pressure gauge

0409004090 Posts: 142Member
I bought a new 0-15 PSI pressure gauge and have a question about installing it. 

There's a 3/4" "T" with a plugged end that's an ideal location, about 12" above the waterline and on the fittings that lead to dual pressuretrols.  Should I connect it directly to the "T" with a bushing, use a pigtail inbetween or something else? 

The original on on the boiler is mounted on it's face just above the waterline and won't readily yeild to removal.  Last thing I want to do at this time of year is force it, and iIt's useless with readings from -5 to 25. 
· ·

Comments

• RodRod Posts: 2,067
    Second Gauge

Hi- I attached a couple of photos below that maybe of help to you. The gauge needs to have a pigtail between it and the boiler to protect it from live steam. You also need to leave your 0-30 PSi gauge in place as it is required by code/insurance regs.

- Rod
    · ·
  • BobCBobC Posts: 2,525Member ✭✭✭
    Use a pigtail

Unless that new gauge is labeled as having an internal syphon, it has to be mounted on a pigtail and fill that pigtails trap with water before putting the new gauge on top of it.

BTW since we want a steam boiler to run at very low pressure many folks use an auxiliary 0-3PSI gauge so they can see exactly whats going on; 1 or 2PSI is hard to judge on a 15 or 30PSI gauge face.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    · ·
  • 0409004090 Posts: 142Member
    It is

It is an internal syphon.  Can it be mounted with a brass angle pigtail, or does it need to be connected only with a 3/4" to 1/4" bushing?

I would prefer to install it with the pigtail but don't know if it will retain accuracy.
    · ·
  • RodRod Posts: 2,067
    Pressure gauge

I would put it on a pigtail as it gives it extra protection. i don't see that that would affect the operation.

- Rod
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!