Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cracked Burnham Sunrad Radiator -- repairable?

Options
KenBoston
KenBoston Member Posts: 2
I have a forced hot water heating system, with Burnham Sunrad (recessed) radiators throughout the house. One of these (20" x 5" x 11 sections) developed a 6 inch harline crack along the end plate (and flooded a bit of the room) As a doityourselfer, I have drained the system, disconnected this radiator and pulled it out of the wall. I contacted one company very well versed in metal works and welding, and they responded that this type of repair is "iffy." (e.g. it might hold, it might not). They indicated that cast iron is not great for welding. They would be confident in welding structural flaws (e.g. broken leg), but not cracks that lead to a leak. I have not yet priced a used replacement radiator. Do you have an opinion on the security of a welded repair? (I'd rather not be worried about another flood.)

Thank you,

Ken

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    sorry to....

say. Its done. Find another one to replace it. Its not worth fixing it only to have it spring a leak when nobody is around and have a real mess....
  • KenBoston
    KenBoston Member Posts: 2
    Options
    yup

Precisely! And I agree with the advice....simply replace it!

I've contacted that particular business by email to get a price quote. Since posting my original thread, I have also found this radiator at a couple of other shops as well. I guess it's pretty common.

Thanks very much.
This discussion has been closed.