Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dole #4 and #5 main vents

Abracadabra
Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
Does anyone know the specs for a Dole #4 and a Dole #5 main vent?

ie. CFM at 1oz?

Comparing it to a Gorton #1, I'm guessing the #4 is about .25CFM and the #5 is about .50CFM

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Invest in a copy of Greening Steam!

A couple years ago, I invested in both The Lost Art of Steam Heating and Greening Steam.  I have found it to be one of the best investments that I ever made! 

I do not find any reference to the Dole #4 vent, but I do find the Dole #5.  It is one of the slowest main vents ever produced!  I had one on my system and I can tell you from experience as well as from the documentation in Greening Steam.

The table says the at 1 ounce, it vents at 0.066.   Yes, I DO have the decimal point in the correct place.  It would take about 9 of them to equal a Hoffman #75 and about 17 of them to equal a Gorton #2.   I know, it's really hard to believe, ain't it.  My old Dole #5 went in the trash.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    vents

Thanks Dave.  I've got a copy of TLAOSH and just picked up a copy of Gerry and Steve's Balancing Steam Systems. I didn't see Dole #5 stats in there. Was it in "Greening Steam"?  Hard to believe the Dole #5 is that bad. 

I've got a bunch of #5s and #4s that I've removed from a few buildings and wondering if I can use them for some extremely short mains, maybe even in multiples.

Does anyone know which flowmeter Gerry and Steve used to put together the table in "Balancing Steam Systems"?

I'll take a pic of the Dole #4 and post it.  It's basically a small mushroom, no float, just a thermostatic vent.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Greening Steam

Yes, in Greening Steam.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.