Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How's this beauty?

Beautiful old house amongst the mansions of Carmel, Indiana. He wants a quote on a new boiler. Scary for us, everyday work for most of you.

Also need to replace the radiator valves. I'm guessing a R E Michel 2K324 is what we need?

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Help!

Where's my pictures!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    ???

Not sure ,I did not take them :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    i havent seen it either

Look on the floor under the screen maybe you dropped it when you moved the mouse

David

aka DrPepper
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited January 2012
    John...

Not sure what format you are trying to post, but JPEG works best. If the picture is too large, it might get rejected.

Happy Gnu Ears.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • John Mills_5
    Try again

I'll try again tomorrow. They are jpgs but could be too big, I'll reduce before sending. 
  • John Mills_5
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    a real beauty

is that a 1-pipe or 2-pipe? i would try to clean up the valves which are there, as a new replacement may have a slightly different length, and might alter the slope of any horizontal below it, in addition to the terrible job of changing out the spud! on 1-pipe, the valves should never be closed, except for service, so if you can repack the bonnet, then you are good to go.

make sure the owner understands the time you will take to calculate the edr before selecting the boiler is a necessary part of the job. if you think he is shopping you, then you may want to keep the edr figures to yourself.

don't forget the good low-pressure gauge, and vaporstat. in my opinion, they are not optional items, but important pieces of the whole system. encourage him to cruise the wall, and see for himself the problems of many who chose price over experience, and knowledge.--nbc
  • John Mills_5
    Hot water

There's a B&G 100 hiding behind the boiler.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    time to shine

You have the chance to be a super hero with this job. I'm pretty sure its a two pipe system looking at the boiler pic and I'm not sure what a R E Michel 2K324 is. It's ideal for use of a mod/con boiler utilizing outdoor reset combined with a Smart pump and TRV's on each radiator. IMHO, This kind of system is the closest you can get to a well designed radiant floor system and you have to sell the customer on that. It's not gonna be cheap so talk with the customer by educating them about the benefits of a system that can save them money and deliver comfort like they've never known before. A job like this takes a fair amount of design work so after the talk you'll know what direction they want to go. Good luck!
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Replacement

I'd replace it with a Mod/Con and a 'Smart" pump and replace all the radiator valves with new TRV';s. You may have to install a neutralizer kit on the condensate drain of a Mod/Con, but you can expect substantial fuel savings.
This discussion has been closed.