To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Riello burner questions

I have a Riello Mectron 5M on my New Yorker boiler. I have been unable to find a service/installation manual online, does anyone have one?

This year I changed from 1.0 USGAL nozzle to a 0.85 USGAL, I have looked at the manual for the Riello F5 and wonder if it is close enough to the 5M design that I can use it as a guide to rough in the initial air and turbulator settings for the new nozzle as detailed in the boiler manual.

I have a combustion analyzer and will make the final adjustments using it. What Stack temp, CO2 and excess air numbers should I aim for?
· ·

Comments

• billtwocasebilltwocase Posts: 2,100Member ✭✭✭
    what model

new Yorker do you have?  This is not a good package, and sounds like this was a retro? If it is an AP model, have the chamber checked thoroughly. 
    · ·
  • meplumbermeplumber Posts: 678Member
    I agree with bill.

This is not a good combination of boiler/burner. If you could give us a Model number on the boiler, maybe we could give you a little more info.
    · ·
  • imaddicted2uimaddicted2u Posts: 11Member
    Model NY-151

Thanks for your reply.

This is not a retrofit burner. Here is a link to the manual and some pics. Although my model NY-151 is older the design has not changed from that shown in the manual. I just did a thorough cleaning including removing the combustion chamber and it all looks to be in good shape.

http://www.nythermal.com/pdfs/nyseries_install_guide.pdf

I use a Honeywell outdoor reset control to control boiler temp and have a bypass line installed to ensure good return water temp.
    JPG
    JPG
    100_3283.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    100_3277.JPG
    0B
    · ·
    Model NY-151

Thanks for your reply.

This is not a retrofit burner. Here is a link to the manual and some pics. Although my model NY-151 is older the design has not changed from that shown in the manual. I just did a thorough cleaning including removing the combustion chamber and it all looks to be in good shape.

http://www.nythermal.com/pdfs/nyseries_install_guide.pdf

I use a Honeywell outdoor reset control to control boiler temp and have a bypass line installed to ensure good return water temp.
    JPG
    JPG
    100_3283.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    100_3277.JPG
    0B
    · ·
    whoops...

Sorry for the double post.
    · ·
    Riello burner manual

Here is a link to the Riello F3 and F5 burners.

Is the F5 close enough to the Mectrom 5M that the turbulator settings would be the same?

http://riello-burners.com/5_riello-vip/_members-vip/2_manuals/residential/40_F3-F5-rev3.pdf 
    · ·
    How much?

I used 660 gallons of fuel oil last heating season. Steady state efficiency of my current boiler is 85-86%  If I changed my boiler to something more efficient, how much fuel should I expect to save. What would a new high efficiency boiler cost.
    · ·
  • billtwocasebilltwocase Posts: 2,100Member ✭✭✭
    you would save

Going from a dry base steel boiler to a wet base cast iron 3 pass would do some shaving off the oil bill. Degree days are the only accurate way to compare consumption from year to year, as no 2 winters are the same (temp, sun, clouds, etc)
    · ·
    thanks for the reply

Any thoughts on a percent fuel savings number on a triple pass cast iron boiler and the cost of the boiler? Being retired and on a fixed income I'm most likely stuck with what I have. With the price of everything going up it just gets harder to make ends meet, I'm just trying to eek out whatever savings that I can. 

The house is 2100 sq. ft. and has 12 foot ceilings. It was built in 1931 but has had insulation and window/door upgrades. Used 660 gallons of fuel oil last year. I'm in Sydney Nova Scotia Canada. Started last year at 73.8/liter (2.79/USGAL) ended at 95.9/liter (3.62/USGAL). Started this year at 92.9/liter (3.51/USGAL) and they are about to announce a 9% electricity increase here. Where will it end, how much profit for the big corporations is enough?

From reading, I gather that drawing combustion air from the interior of the home causes something like 2000 cu. ft./gallon fuel oil of cold outside air to be drawn in through infiltration. This air must be heated and causes drafts.

I wonder if supplying outside combustion air would reduce air infitration enough to be worthwhile, could I expect any fuel savings?

This is a great site, thank you!
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!