To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

glycol

does anyone know what if any system effect it has if ethelyne glycol gets added to a system filled with propylene glycol? say for example an existing loop has propylene glycol and a unit gets added or branch piping gets relocated and ethelyne glycol gets added.
· ·

Comments

• hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,750Member ✭✭✭
    changes

the toxicity of the PG a bit. Also the color:)

They do blend together, EG is a slightly better transfer fluid and is common in larger commercial systems as a heat transfer fluid. EG is best kept away from potable water with double walled HX protection. PG may or may not require double walled HX, depends on your AHJ.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
  • ALAL Posts: 44Member
    Are you sure they blend

I have had some dealings with glycol in a geothermal closed loop system. I took several samples and they were different colors and mesured diferent freeze points. The major issues this customer was having was freezing water to water units. I sent all the samples to some company in Pensylvania and the one sample I had had a very high PH and lots of floating particles. I was told that different manufactures and different kinds of glycol will not mix and can cause corrosion and other adverse affects. Not sure who to believe.

AL
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!