To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

no 24 volts

Hi everyone-

Had a goodman air handler with electric heat coils/evap coil go down.  Wasn't getting any control voltage out of the transformer----208>24 volts.  Had 208 going into the transformer, checked voltage at breakers and all safeties/switches.  Replaced with a brand new transformer and same thing, no 24V coming out of transformer but I noticed the transformer got warm to the touch.  Talked to the tenant on the way out, and he said he recently installed a wall mount TV near the thermostat.  Would a short in the thermostat wire cause the transformer not to give off 24V?  There is no neutral hooked up to this unit, just ground.  When I go back tomorrow, I'm going to disconnect all thermostat wires and see if I get anywhere.  Any other ideas?

• TechmanTechman Posts: 2,082Member ✭✭✭
    Low volt

Turn off power,on the 24v side of xformer,remove all wirers, re-power & check for 24v.What VA rating was the original xformer? What is the replacement xformer VA ?
  • DelDel Posts: 48Member

Just like the old one. I determined that the new transformer I put in was fried due to a short in the low voltage line to the condenser. When I put another new one in, I pulled off all the 24v wires from the board and jumped out r-g and the fan started, and I was getting 24v from the transformer. Whenever I hooked the condenser control wires back up, the transformer voltage would drop to 4--5 volts and nothing would

work. This led me to believe there is a problem either with the condenser contactor, or the 24v wires. This is an older goodman AH and there is no 3A fuse on the board. I checked all the thermostat wires for shorts, none found. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • TechmanTechman Posts: 2,082Member ✭✭✭
    lo low volt

You should put in a auto style fuse/buss control fuse/ or 24v circuit breaker. It does sound like a stuck contactor.
  • RDSTEAMRDSTEAM Posts: 134Member
    use a

xformer with a reset button on it. this way your not constantly replacing formers. disconnect you condenser stat wires and test continuity
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!