Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jury Rules That CSST is a Defective Product

Options
13»

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Great idea Mark

But who pays for the plumber/fitter everytime there is a thunderstorm, and a whole subdivision of houses impregnated with the csst pipe gets locked out. I know its deffinetly better than loss of property or life though. But how many out of pocket lock outs is going to make a homeowner disconnect the saftey feature unaware of the risk, or just willing to take the risk? Or would this be a supplier feature with a tampering is unlawful, and imposes fine or imprisonment tag.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I hear you Gordy...

And I hate to use the old saw of you can't fix stupid. We can only do so much in our efforts to protect people from potential life threatening systems. Can't tell you how many combustion air vents I've come across that were completely blocked off…

I believe that this lightning technology could be incorporated with a pressure sensor, and if the gas pressure drops after the strike has been indicated, then the system locks out. If pressure is stable, then it could automatically reset itself.

And you are right. Given enough nuisance calls, people will defeat ANY system of protection…

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Conclusions:

My jaded conclusion is that far too many fire personnel are far too paranoid to be living on earth. If left to them, we would all be living in tents with a fire substation on every block in case of emergency.

There have been "bonding/Neutral" requirements in place for years. They have had lightning suppression systems in place for years. Most electricians and gas installers are clueless about the bonding requirements of ANY kind of gas piping. They are all wound up about some strike and some holes in some pipe? Was that in the same house? Did anyone notice that there was still enough energy in the strike to completely blow up the gas meter on the side of the house? Because the lightning came in through the metal faux chimney? Or did it come out of the ground and go through the meter to get to the chimney to go back to the cloud? Maybe it goes both ways and continues through a "Sprite" and heads off into the Ionosphere. Who knows today? Tomorrow it might change.

What the fluck does it matter how well you bond/ground something when the gas mains in the street are all Poly and so are the main to house connections. Then, no matter what you have, a well or municipal water, you have PE pipe as a service. Now, you have a perfectly isolated potential ground conductor source. Just what do you think will happen? Do away with metal services, do away with more bonding. Another really good idea. A 10' ground rod beside the electric meter socket to bond to? Now, they require another one in front of an electrical panel. How many houses in the USA don't have that? That NEC code change should have been retroactive and mandatory. Like seat belts in a car. .

They require every washing machine to be bonded to a cold water pipe. Every gas appliance should be bonded to a gas pipe and part of the house bonding system. Ever go into a crawl space and see an old piece of galvanized pipe with a ground clamp and the service cold water ground waving in the air? Because the service was switched to plastic? Where's the service ground?

The PAU (Paranoid Amongst Us) have finally succeeded in forcing us to install

fire sprinklers in private homes. You can use PEX. On a well that is delivering 4 GPM? 240 Gallons per Hour? That should make you feel really safe after being stuck for that Faux Mess.

If anyone cares. go look at a lightning suppression system done properly in a private residence by a really quality installer. They even ground the garage door tracks. Surge suppressors in electrical panels.

Why doesn't Lying Lauer or his NBC buddy "Dancing Dave" Gregory do a piece on all the homes in the USA that aren't properly grounded and bonded. That houses in Texas and other places are like putting a 1,000' ungrounded metal tower on the roof and asking lightning to come be grounded through it.

In Texas, you're far more likely to be killed by an unsecured gun in a home than being hit by lightning, with CSST in it, being hit by lightning, and dying in a fire.

Folks, lets get our priorities straight. CSST might have some slight problems. There's a bigger problems with improperly bonded buildings.

There's a terrible lightning storm going on at this time as I sit here writing this rant. . How many lightning strikes hit the earth every second? Ever see a fire station without lightning suppression rods on it? What do they know that they aren't telling us?

Is it CSST? Or is it Ben Ghazi?
  • TonyS
    Options
    And here I thought

unsecured guns were inanimate objects! lol
  • icesailor
    Options
    Guns:

But the Corporations that make them are "persons" and have the same rights as you and I.

I'm waiting to see a Corporation tried, convicted and given the Death Penalty.

Lethal Injection.
  • TonyS
    Options
    Okay

we covered the object....we covered the manufacturer... can we put just a little blame, maybe...on the person who squeezes the trigger. LOL
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Impressive

How does a CSST thread turn into a gun discussion?  There are plenty of threads on the net about guns and 2nd amendment rights and arguments.  Do we really need it here too? 

I ran all black iron pipe in my home for gas and am very glad I did.  Curious though, I bonded the gas piping to the electrical panel when I did the water piping.   Should I leave it grounded or disconnect it?

I have no CSST, but do have flexible appliance connectors going to the stove and cloths dryer.  The gas meter is outside, but is connected to the street via yellow plastic tubing the gas company ran for me in 2011 as a new install.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • TonyS
    Options
    Make your gas connectors

out of FlashShield http://www.gastite.com/products/flashshield.html
  • icesailor
    Options
    Deathh comparisons:

Maybe I should have said that more people are killed in Texas after 10:00 PM at night by drunk drivers than are killed by lightning or Carbon Monoxide.

Its just what went through me in the moment. Texas is the place where a wealthy youth was DUI and hit and killed 4 people. He was found guilty in court but he got no jail time. He suffered from Afluenza. He grew up so wealthy that he would have had a hard time in jail.
  • TonyS
    Options
    The mans son was burned to death

I dont think all the statistics in the world are going to change the fact that I dont want to be part of that.

I will continue to warn my customers about the danger. You do what you want.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Unintended deaths:

During one of the storms that hit my house (twice in 6 week), there was a retired State Trooper I knew who lived in Falmouth, MA. He was sleeping in a brass antique bed. The lightning  came through the house and electrocuted him, DEAD.

Don't sleep in brass beds during a lightning storm.

The #1 cause of all human death is birth.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Brass bed

Bummer.  Have to admit that that possibility never occurred to me.  I'm thinking large ground strap...
  • TonyS
    Options
    I guess that depends

on your opinion as to when is birth....but we are not even going to go there!