Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My new project....

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
I've been asked to work as a design consultant on a Historically Designated property. Anyone who drives the I-70 route between Denver and the western slope has seen this home from the highway. Its been around since 1963, and was featured in Woody Allen's movie Sleeper.

The space ship looking part of the home is made of concrete and is listed as the Sculpted House.

Lots of glass :-)

Lots of messed up hydronic heating as well...

He purchased the home from a foreclosure auction for $1.00 over the banks asking price, around $1.5 million.

What a steal! You can see to Kansas and Wyoming, as well as most of the Continental Divide in Colorado from its vantage point.

Should be lots of fun!

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    By a well-known architect

Charles Deaton was his name. He did a lot of curvy concrete structures; the old bank building over by "Cinderella City" was one. The Christian School near Wadsworth and Alameda was another. I always wondered what the heat looked like in there.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Finally Worthy Treatment

Not to jinx anything, but I know the house will finally see comfort it may never have had. Good catch, Mark!

Keep us posted on your approach, if you can.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Mark Eatherton
    Will keep you posted...

The new owner is soliciting the participation of Home and Garden TV. SHould be interesting.

Lights, camera, ACTION...

Lots of work to be done here.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Retired and loving it.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Woody Allen

Mark, I just drove by that house last week as we were skiing at SnowMass. I remember that house as being in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper and always check it out when we drive by.

I can't think of a better person to correct and update the heating than you. Please keep up with photos.

As we left Denver my asked my brother in law where he thought you and I had meet one time. Good beer as I remember. Holidaz Beer ??

Scott
  • Mark Eatherton
    Heavenly Daze Brewery...

But it too is gone now. Now it is called the Rack Room at the Colorado Whiskey Company. Still have lots of good locally produced craft brews there, but none produce onsite. They now make a hand craft whiskey, called, you guessed it, Colorado Whiskey. It too is some good stuff :-)

Shoulda called me whilst in town. I'da showed ya :-)

Will keep you all posted as this project moves forward.

ME
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Cool

If anybody can take it on, it's you. Have fun and keep us posted.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Wicked Awesome

Thanks for letting us be a fly on the wall. Color me jealous. I remember the movie Sleeper well. My favorite line was Woody Allen's response to being told that if caught. they would dissect his brain. "Not my brain," he said. "That's my second favorite organ." (badump bump)
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    My favortie line

Was when they gave him his little robot dog. " won't he leave little batteries all over the floor ?"
This discussion has been closed.