Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trageser copper core custom water heater

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
Ran in to one of these on a job today. Cold inlet was on bottom of water heater and hot outlet was on from a T close to the top. The T also had the t&p valve connected to it. Does anyone have any info or history about these. Thanks

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    What do you want

to know? The Trageser was one of the best water heaters ever made. I have a three tenement home with three of them which are over 40 years old. There were several different 30 gallon models using a full floater type of flue not a center flue like water heaters today.They could be fired as high as 50,000 BTU's which gave them a 45 gallon per hour recovery. They very rarely leak. The gas company I used to work for used to use them as our rental water heaters.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Heater

We used to see alot of those heaters in older homes in Queens NY , it seemed like they lasted forever, from what I remember they were guaranteed for life but the Company has been out of business for a long time , so I was told.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    curious

just interested in history. Wasn't working on heater. when were they last manufactured, tech specs, cost in modern day dollars etc.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    pure copper?

Is the tank really pure copper? Is the copper tank heated directly from the flame?
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    They were a pure

copper tank using a cast iron burner with a pilot, thermocouple operation. They showed up on the scene right after WW2. In there day they priced at the top but the truth is you would only buy one in your lifetime. I have run into Tragesers that are 50+ years old and still working. They may have had some thermocouples changed and maybe a control but the tanks held up better than anything I have ever seen and I have been doing this for 50+ years.

The heat transfer on the full floater version was excellent. They also had a rear flue version.

The last new one I saw was around 1970.
  • Dustie
    Dustie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Trageser Water Heater in need of Repair

I have a Trageser water heater model #CR40B, Serial #B22384, input rating BTU/hr - 60,000 Capacity 40 gallons. Water heater is leaking. Can the age of this water heater be obtained from the serial #. If so, how old is it? Can it be repaired or is it time for a new water heater?
  • Dustie
    Dustie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Trageser Water Heater in need of Repair

I have a Trageser water heater model #CR40B, Serial #B22384, input rating BTU/hr - 60,000 Capacity 40 gallons. Water heater is leaking. Can the age of this water heater be obtained from the serial #. If so, how old is it? Can it be repaired or is it time for a new water heater?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If it leaking.....

it is really old. Its time for a new one. Water heaters tanks rarely can be repaired. The scrap value on it is pretty high...
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Probably over

40 years old. You got your moneys worth from it time for a new heater. By the way do not expect a new one to give that kind of service.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,303
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I really like...

...keeping old heaters going.  Have you tried to find out exactly where the leak is?  If it's from a fitting, it's probably fixable.  If from the tank, it MIGHT be fixable.

Yours,  Larry
    steamhouse
  • OleSchool
    OleSchool Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Copper core

I have one of these still in great working condition today. I have

Been hesitant to replace it. 52000 btu@ 45gal.

It isnt quite as efficient as newer units but I wrapped it with insulation

To help. I have never replaced ANYTHING on it just keep it clean.

I was wondering if anyone else has one in working condition. My

only concern is an emergency type shutoff from water or gas.

If it aint broke dont fix it!
  • MicahD
    MicahD Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Any asbestos in these?

Wondering if anyone knows if these have any asbestos insulation inside the cover? I'm guessing someone would have mentioned if so. I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd ask in case folks are still subscribed.

Thanks!
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    No asbestoes

in these water heaters,
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Trageser

I'm dealing with one right now that is over 50 years old. Relief keeps popping but I think it's the control overshooting the tank temp.

I don't want to fix it. I don't trust the flue and I don't like the look of the flame but my client loves the idea of keeping it going.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • mrmossif
    mrmossif Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a 45 gallon Trageser in Queens, NY and I still have the receipt from th Broolyn Union Gas Company. It was installed in 1954! I hate to get rid of but it doesn't seem to provide enough hot water. It's a 3 family home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was told to turn the temperature all the way up and install a mixing valve. Also flush it CLR and scrap the ash off of the bottom of the tank. Thanks guys.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Patented 1948, this ad ran in 1964 in a PA paper.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • segundations
    segundations Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JUST had mine replaced. It was leaking water from the tank. LOoked pretty old and corroded. NEVer had any issues before that but decided it was time to retire it. No year printed on it but said it was made at NY international airport. In 63 they changed the name to JFK airport so must have been made before 63. I’d say it did it’s time and then some. Assuming it was made in 1950 since NY international airport was opened in 1948 that’s almost 70 years of service.
  • Pestoleum
    Pestoleum Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have one. I think it's original to the house which was built in 1955 in Queens, New York. It runs like a champ. Talk about quality.  
  • Pestoleum
    Options

• Pestoleum
    Options

Larry WeingartenSuperTech
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Play it safe with old equipment, have a CO detector nearby.
    It looks like there may have been some flame roll out at some point?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,855
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Play it safe with old equipment, have a CO detector nearby.
    It looks like there may have been some flame roll out at some point?
    Low Level CO detector!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    They don't make them like they used too.