To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

I'm upgrading a home I bought

JackJack Posts: 730Member ✭✭✭
A couple years ago. Have done the hvac change out. The place still has knob and tube and a stunning assortment of substandard elec. I'm getting this repaired in Nov and as soon as power is done I want to get the place injected with some sort of foam. There are about R19 batts in the attic bot nary a bit in the wall cavities. What concerns should I have while the insulation cures...if any. In your opinion, what is the best insulation method/type?
· ·

Comments

• Brad WhiteBrad White Posts: 2,393Member
    My Default

approach would be Dense-Pack Cellulose. I am looking into J-M "Spider", which is an improved short-fiber fiberglass with similar density to dense-pack cellulose.

The key is density, not fluffing. Properly done, either insulation should be a firm, felt-like blanket to promote air blockage.

Another type I have seen once is magnesium oxide foam, which has a very light "meringue" consistency and is said to be ok to blow in when you have knob and tube wiring. It goes in like shaving cream and hardens. I am not certain regarding R values but the air sealing qualities were stressed. I know only one person who has had it installed this past year and so far no experience/data.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be right!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
    · ·
  • BillWBillW Posts: 136Member
    Insulation

I also favor dense-pak cellulose ,properly treated with insect control, water repellent and fire retardant.  Offgassing from the older foam spray products and the particulate from the "shaving" process could be a problem, but now the products have evolved beyond that point. If you live in a bitter cold, windy place like the Adirondacks, North Kingdom in Vermont , U.P. Michigan or Minnesota, make sure the R values are at the design requirements for the area, and you have a heat loss done to make sure.  Same for more moderate climates.  Insulation is part of the equation for comfort and efficiency...too much or too little can be harmful.  Pick a reliable contractor with experience.
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!