Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Code distance from electrical panel to oil tank in Mass.?

Al_Thumbs
Al_Thumbs Member Posts: 4
My oil tank has to be replaced, a 275 gal. old steel tank. I have had two companies in for estimates, one says the tank must be three feet from the panel, the other says two feet. Which is correct?

The current tank is in the corner of the basement, and the electrical panel is on the perpendicular wall, about 14" from the nearest part of the tank. To get 24" or 36" inches away from the panel will mean placing the tank about that distance out of the corner, wasting space. The contractors have recommended a vertical tank (a Roth) to minimize the footprint.

Is there any wiggle room in this?

Al

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I am curious.

I cannot possibly answer your question, but I have one of my own.

Why does the code say anything about the distance between an oil tank and an electrical power panel? Some friends of mine here in New Jersey had a new oil tank installed a few years ago, and it is probably 40 feet away from their power panel. Their power panel is in their basement (downstairs) and the tank is in their large garage (upstairs) and these are at opposite walls of their house. Perhaps New Jersey has no code governing this, or perhaps their contractor made an illegal installation, I would not know.

I assume the code requirement is for some safety reason, but what is that reason? Is it an electrical grounding issue, or what?
  • Al_Thumbs
    It's a minimum

The two (or three!) foot distance is a minimum, not a maximum.

Al Thumbs
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Thank you.

OK. I suppose you want the spacing large enough so a fat person could get in there quickly to operate the circuit breakers.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Codes

Codes are always for safety , if it was not in the book, someone out there would mount the breaker box on the oil tank or shove a tank against a panel ... I would think it is more for safety as to work on a panel ... Just like its code to have proper safe access to heating equipment or air handlers ... And no condensers in front of the electric meter......

I tell you I feel unsafe working tight quarters in a panel box ... And yes I could loose more then a few pounds ... What can I say ...After 26 it's all down hill :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    There isn't one...

CMR 527 4.03 says that the tank my not be placed any closer than 5 feet from the appliance it's feeding. Also is says it can not be placed where it will be heated in excess of 100 degrees F. All it says about electrical panels is that is shal not obstruct them and you have quick and safe access.

The distance that is will be upon the local fire department. Most like to see 2-3 feet so that is where the generalized assumption is comming from.

With just about every code law it can be interpeted in many different ways. Ask your fire department what they want to see and that's what it will be.
  • Al_Thumbs
    Thanks!

Ah, thank you. Will contact the local Fire Department.

Al
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    National Electrical Code sez...

36" minimum in front, and 24" to either side.

It is to avoid the possibility if electricians coming into contact with other grounded equipment outside of the enclosure, and possibly becoming the path of least resistance....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Al_Thumbs
    That's the local code too.

I talked with the building inspector yesterday and he gave those dimensions, but you have given a rational explanation for it. Thanks.

Al T.
  • OilsBetter
    OilsBetter Member Posts: 14
    Electricians install oil tanks?

Oh they don't? Then why the heck do THEY have it for code. It should be in our code book. I'm glad this was answered correctly and i'm sorry for mis informing you.

It still annoys me though it is not listed specifically in our code. It says you must allose safe access. So let's say i went and installed a tank not aware of the 36"/24" rule and put it let's say 18" in front but it still allowed for safe access. Then the fire department calls me on and it says i have to re-pipe the fill and vent to get the distance i need. Who would be in the wrong? Granted it's not a huge deal do nudge it over but it's still time and wasted meterial for a job that was already completed.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    all codes over lap

It would be on your dime to move the tank. Same is true for water lines and heat pipe unless it is so many feet above the panel.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • tgm
    tgm Member Posts: 25

we must follow ALL applicable codes. this includes numerous different NFPA's one of which is the 70.  Thats part of why I feel working on boilers is the best job in the world. All on one unit I need plumbing,heating,electrical,and air conditioning experiance.
This discussion has been closed.