Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett burner eating up Ignitors

Saggs
Saggs Member Posts: 174
I just replaced an Ignitor on  a Beckett burner in a Miller trailer furnace. This last one lasted less than 24hrs? The previous on went about 8 months. The earlier one was a carlin. The latest one was an Allanson 17kv ignitor I had on the truck. I checked for proper polarity and voltage. Both checked fine. I have made sure to clean the paint off the mounting screw on the hinge to be sure the ground is good. This time i replaced the primary control as well, not sure if this was causing some trouble? I installed a standard old-school tranformer on it to see if this holds up better.  The electrodes are fine and properly adjusted. Any thoughts?

Comments

• EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Are ......

Are you using a interupted ignition primary control? That is a big help. Most mobile home wiring sucks. Does the furnace have a good ground? Must burners  on Millers only have a 2 prung plug going to them, with no ground. So cabinet has to be grounded good, and burner has to have good contact to cabinet for ground. 
  • Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174
    That is one

Thing I havent checked. The cabinet ground that is... It does not have an interrupted primary control as you suggested. They are an awesome way to go as far as increasing electrode life, ignitor life etcc...  I'll check the cabinet ground. Thx
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    Going to an old style trans will fix it

I've done the same thing a few times and its worked well

The 51771U igniters seem to fail prematurely in hot locations.

Is the furnace closet hot? is the sight door tightly closed?

feel for a hot spot on the side of the bulge on the igniter.

" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.