Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can't adjust my pilot light

Options
Brian_74
Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
I was trying to adjust the pilot light on my boiler but I can't seem to figure out where the adjustment screw is. I thought it was the plastic screw under the large brass screw on the left, but that didn't do anything. Neither the nut nor the screw on the Maxitrol did anything either.

Two other questions: do I need to adjust the pilot light? I thought it should have some yellow, which as you can see it doesn't. And should the thermocouple be lower? I thought that the tip should be in the pilot light flame.

Thanks for any help.
1929 Ideal Heating vapor system.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    It is not necessary to adjust

your pilot most of the time. It should be a soft blue flame (no yellow) hitting the upper 1/2 to 3/8 of the tip of the thermocouple. The tip should be a dull red not cherry red.

There is a small screw cap on the valve that when removed reveals the adjustment screw. That is what you adjust if at all.

Now if you turned the screw on the Maxitrol you just changed the gas pressure to your burners and could now be over firing and making carbon monoxide. I also can't tell from the pictures but I believe your gas valve has a built in regulator so the Maxitrol may not be needed. What is the Make and numbers on the gas valve? I will be able to tell you if that valve has a built in regulator. With that Maxitrol set up the way it is you are regulating the pilot that should not be. The pilot gas should be unregulated.

I strongly suggest you get a professional who knows gas systems to look at your system.
  • Brian_74
    Options
    Pilot light too low on thermocouple?

Thanks for the response. The pilot is a soft blue flame, so I think it's okay. It does sound as if it's hitting too low on the thermocouple, though. You can sort of tell this on the third photo.

I think that we're talking about the same thing for adjusting the pilot light, then.

I appreciate your concern about CO, but I marked the Maxitrol before I tried adjusting it. When it didn't change the pilot light, I moved it back to where it was. Who ever worked on the boiler last left unused parts (like another pilot light line) rather than removing them. Perhaps the Maxitrol is another unused part, just sitting there.

I can't find any markings on the gas valve. I've looked several times.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Have a professional

take a look at your system!
  • Brian_74
    Options
    Will do!

I scheduled an appointment for the soonest they had. I told them that I'd like the system inspected to make sure it's running safely and efficiently. Please let me know if there are things that are commonly overlooked, things to be sure are done, etc. (BTW, I checked the "find a pro" link and there's no one within 50 miles of me)
This discussion has been closed.