Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Boiler with Domestic Coil?

Jeremy_12
Jeremy_12 Member Posts: 8
Hi guys,

I have an apt building with NG already in the house. The house has no heating system. I want to put a boiler in for each floor.

Do they make gas boilers with domestic coils?

What brands are the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Comments

• Dice
    Dice Member Posts: 9
    boiler w/ coil for dhw

Try looking at the Embassy Axia, or the Embassy Onyx. They are a self contained unit oem product from Italy. Pretty cool for what you need. Also venting is easy. They can produce between 3 and 5 gpm of dhw.
  • Jeremy_12

Thanks, but I'm looking more for a standard solution in the $1k range.
  • I doubt

you'll find something in that price range .

I know Slant Fin and Peerless make atmospheric gas boilers with coils . I don't know the specific model numbers , you'll have to go to the websites to find out more .
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    $1000?

Well that would be a start to pay for a good professional heat/loss calc and and a well thought out design and maybe any engineering reports that may be needed. You're on the right track!
  • Jeremy_12

I need 80' of baseboard and I need a domestic coil in a NG boiler.

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    $1000???

Can't even get a tankless that will put out any gpm's for that price. Even wholesale cost on a power-vent tank water heater is around 750.00

Mod/con's with dhw coils will deliver very low gpm's. In most cases they will not even meet the requirements for minimum flow set forth in our plumbing code (MN). I would avoid them at any turn considering the poor ratings given by current owners.

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Jeremy_12

are you saying NG + tankless = no GPM? Regardless of the cost?
  • EricAune
    No, not at all

A quality tankless is going to run (wholesale cost) around $1200, not including install, gas & vent.

I have switched from Rinni to Navien this last year. I really like the buffer tank and the standard PVC venting you get with the Navien.

Do your homework with the tankless units. Check the ratings for flow rates given expected delta t. The big box models most likely will not rate well.

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Are YOU saying,,,

you want a NG boiler c/w domestic coil + 80` of BB for $1K??.
    Might find something re-usable at the scrapyard. :-)
    Good Luck!

Dave
  • Jeremy_12

no no no, I'm looking for boiler cost of $1,000. I was just answering someone else's off topic post.
  • Jeremy_12

I'm not looking for a tankless solution. I'm looking for a NG boiler that has a tankless coil in it for little money since it's an apartment building.
  • EricAune
    Not going to find it

I think you need to consider the costs of a properly sized boiler with an additional indirect tank. This will be considerably more than $1000 but it will deliver high performance.

If you are looking for a Mod/Con boiler with a dhw coil you will likely find the prices to hover around $2000-3000.

• Jeremy_12

ok, thanks guys. I'll just keep with the plan of adding the boilers/baseboard and add electric HW tanks.
  • EricAune
    Why not combine all units for domestic hot water?

Unless its a metering/billing issue. I would think you could have lower operating costs using stacked gas tankless units to realize your hot water needs rather than use electrics for each unit.

The initial investment will be higher, but, operating costs should be less.

Peace

• Jeremy_12

It's a metering/billing issue. Each tenant has their own gas and electric meter.
  • heatboy_28
    heatboy_28 Member Posts: 1
    Crown Cayman is........

...... a very basic, but nice, gas fired w/tankless unit. This one is 7 years old with no service issues, to date.

• If you can put enough baseboard in to run under 140 deg. F., you might be able to do a gas water heater w/heat exchange for each unit.

Given how inefficient a boiler with a coil in it will be for individual apartment units, this is probably a step up in efficiency and a step back in price.
This discussion has been closed.