Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to unfreeze isolation flanges

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
They are slotted shutoff valves on either side of our Taco 007s; probably used due to low ceiling height instead of ball valves. usually exercise them once a year but last time they wouldn't budge. Penetrating oil?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    They can be tough!

Another great reason to use anything but a set of Grundfos iso valves. I have had luck with the right sized screw driver and only when the system is hot.
    Get the boiler up to temp(dial up the limit if it is a mod/con and runs at a low temp).
    Good luck & peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    some of those

actually have a recessed hex down in that screwdriver slot. That is a better tool to use. Tap around them with two hammers. One as backup, a small ballpeen hammer to jar things loose.

P-oil may help also, if it can get to the ball.

Even the handle type iso flanges can seize after time. I have snapped the brass stem on those also, trying to free them.

Heck, even ball valves on water lines seize up.

Notice the better quality ball valves have larger diameter stems, maybe better quality brass, also. Seems like the import valves, regardless of the brand name on them, barely hold the nut to keep the handles on, anymore. The stems are so small and flimsy.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Just My Luck

Everytime I try to shut off one of those combo flange shutoffs they break or leak. Either they snap or the o ring tears. I have not tried the newer models because I been scared off. I just drop the pressure and try to hold a vacuum ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.