Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

formula needed

Options
Rocky
Rocky Member Posts: 121
I have a handbook that shows head losses through various size piping based on a given flow. This is really handy, but it is always based on 60 degree pure water. How would I figure out frictional losses through various size pipes at various water temps and various glycol concentrations? For instance, Uponor's CDAM manual has tables in the back that show head loss per foot for any size pex, at any water temp, any glycol strength, and any flow rate. If you wanted to know what your head loss per foot of 1/2" pex tubing flowing 1.2 gallons per minute of 120 degree 40% glycol solution, well, the table would show you. I would like to be able to do this with copper pipe. I would like to figure out what my head loss would be for, say, 2" M copper flowing 37 gpm of 160 degree 50% glycol.Does anyone know where pre-existing tables are showing this, or can anyone tell me how to figure this out myself (which I would prefer, because then, as Dan H. says, I would "own it".) Any takers out there?
Thanks,
Rocky

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    formulas

Hey Rocky, try this manual by Weil McLain, If you want to know the formulas buy John Siegenthaler book Modern Hydronic Heating 2nd edition (sold on this site) i believe he has all the formulas you will need, hope this helps
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Rocky

Go to B&G's web site and down-load their Syzer program, it does everything you ask.
    bob
  • Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Duhhhhh.....

Have Siggy's book sitting on my shelf. Sounds like it should be sitting on my desk! Should have known that one.
    Also forgot about B&G's system sizer program. Should have known that one, too.
    Thanks guys, will check them both out.
    Rock
This discussion has been closed.