Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydro air coil

valve somewhere Tim?<BR>Sounds like something is blocking the flow.<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I have one coil on the 1st floor of 10 stories that will not heat up. From the 50's or so, small coil. No air, if I bleed long enough I do get hot water, but does not kick start it. Any thoughts?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Timco

No valves on or in the unit. Wanted to pull it and check for obstruction. Thought is air bound because so much work was done to the boilers in the past few months, but no air came out. This building had gas valves used for coil isolation, and the last one I touched came apart and flooded 6 floors of stairwell.

Tim
  • gas valves used for coil isolation?

New-one on me Tim, never heard of that.
    Still sounds like an obstruction of some sort though.
    Did you touch the other because of the same reason?

Dave
  • Timco

Valves are the old style all brass valve with a tapered core and a nut on the opposite end to keep the tapered core in the valve body. Head is just a slot to put a crescent wrench on. I was checking the other one for leaks. If the building has to be drained to check the coil, oh well...

Tim
  • Well,

if you do have to drain the building down, I would do yourself a favor and change any others while your at-it.
    You`ll be thanked in the long run.

Dave
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Tim, we run into this problem quite often after draining and

refilling. Air traps in some areas of distribution piping and you can't just flush out top purge valve as it won't clear sometimes. You bleed and bleed but to no avail. We shut down pumps and boiler, open all valves in building and then isolate return and flush up supply then isolate supply and flush backwards up return, as much pressure as we can go. Last if this does not work, we have mgr ahead of time shut off all valves on radiators in building and then we flush again forward and back, last resort but this usually finishes it off. By the way, mgr at a building we were flushing today and other day is doing just this for us in next couple days, then we will go and flush er out. Good luck, Tim
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    THAT is a plug key cock.

we used them on water service mains in nyc in 1900's usually with a wiped joint man, talk about obsolete. wow
This discussion has been closed.