Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain v Peerless Boilers

bcoate
bcoate Member Posts: 3
Need to replace my steam boiler. I have narrowed my quotes to two; one for a Weil McLain for $9000 and the other for a Peerless for $7000. Is the WM really worth the extra $2000?

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    peerless has METAL pushnipples

peerless is by far the superior boiler. weil- mclain is living on legend. rubber push nipples & their support staff is real shaky. never ordered a weil that a key component was not either missing or wrong. your downtime means nothing to them. peerless blows them away. and burnham is equal to peerless.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Installation is Key

Either boiler will work if it is installed correctly. You could pay more for a less than perfect installation and that would be a shame.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    I Concur

I could not recommed a boiler that does not use push nipples to connect it's sections ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

or you could pay less and get what you paid for ---
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Peerless

Peerless is a good boiler. Very few problems with any Peerless boilers that I've installed. Good for steam & hot water. I'm not a big fan of elastomeric seals, especially for steam. There are going to be a lot of people chiming in on this one.
  • had more problem with

Had more problem with boiler with steel rings than the rubber gaskets one. Never had problem with the rubber seals except when others decided to put in oil base boiler treatment and then blame it on the manufacture. Any boiler is a failure when installed wrong.
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Oil or Gas

You did not say what type fuel you are using. If you are using oil you would be better off with a Burnham MegaSteam boiler. Have you measured your EDR to make sure you have the correct size boiler. When you sign a contract make sure you include that the boiler is to be installed according to the manufacturers installation manual.
  • Bob Burnham
    Bob Burnham Member Posts: 18
    Both are JUNK! Go with Burnham!

Seriously
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    I would go as far ...

as calling them junk but the three pass design of the Megasteam does make it the best steam boiler on the market hands down!!
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Yes..

Burnham does have a good boiler, but given the choices from the original poster, I would pick Peerless. JMHO
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Fantasy land

NEVER had a problem with the Weil as far as the elastomer seals go. IF I need to call for customer support I've never had a problem either. Most who complain about Weil dont even use them. They've only heard rumors and go by what they hear. Push nipples rot out too! Peerless is a good unit as well (as far as steam is concerned). Neither are junk as steam boilers go. That said, I'd still go with the Mega Steam. In fact I'd insist. As Mr Mannino said, its all in the install anyway. Bashing any mfr. while hiding out behind phony email addresses is not the way to go here. Take those comments for what they're worth. NOTHING ! AND, Burnham is NOT equal to Peerless. The Mega steam has no equal.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Simple Anwser

Would you like a boiler that is 87% AFUE or 81% AFUE for starters? I don't know what part of the country you are in but there are rebates out there for the 87%AFUE..I'd go with the Burnham Megasteam hands down
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.