Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Magnets

I have been told it would be a good idea to install magnets in the strainer of my TT 110 because the CI from the radiators and old black pipe headers (old gravity conversion) might latch onto the SS heat exchanger. Is this a possible? If so, what type of magnets and where would they be purchased? I just hada ask.

Comments

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Neodymium

or rare earth magnets are what I use.

I get most of mine from Lee Valley (.com) but there are other sources pretty easy to find.
  • andsam
    andsam Member Posts: 1
    magnets

I use these in the UK.

http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Brad...

What, if anything, have you seen the magnets trap in your system?

My presumption is that you have older column cast iron type radiators on line?
    If not, what?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Stray black iron

What I get are specs of magnetite black iron. The magnets come out looking like little black chia pets.

We do have standing CI radiators, ARCO's dating from 1922.

The water otherwise is remarkably clear!

Some may argue that "black gold" theory, but if it floats and makes the water inky black, I cannot imagine it is good for circulators or stainless steel components.
  • BRIANJ
    BRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    Brad

Would the same approach apply for two pipe steam? My system is an old Broomell about 95 years and I see a lot of black and dark red in my return water. I can access the returns and was wondering what your thoughts might be. Last year the port at the bottom of the sight glass actually blocked the flow of water. Thanks for your help.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    I never thought of

using it on steam and have to think out loud if there is an advantage.. I mean, when steam leaves a boiler it is essentially distilled water (or soon will be). It would not take iron with it but would carry some back.

In the larger picture, I doubt it would hurt, but then, you are talking LOTS of iron sometimes.. I am thinking a spoon or a beach shovel would be more appropriate :)

Seriously, a good flushing is in order, water flow and lots of it below the boiler waterline and all wet returns.

Now, the black iron is protective to an extent, a passivated form of iron oxide formed without free oxygen. Red rust is an unstable form and that is what concerns me.
This discussion has been closed.