Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Co Detector with Shutoff

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
Now that is a useful idea -- reverse the Darwin theory. By the way, check out 'survey says' at our website for this topic. Thanks.

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,542
    Options
    Co Detector with Shutoff .HM

I Think this was a topic which was discussed before.

Is there a Manufactured CO detector that will shut down the Boiler instead of Just sounding a Alarm so that the source (Boiler/water heater)does not continue to unload into the house?

This will also give the Hearing impaired a chance of survival!

Thanks Heatmeister..
  • Derheatmeister
    Options
    Bump

I Guess Not ??
  • Yes there is a system

called Ultra Guard send me an e-mail with your postal address and I will send you some info.
  • Derheatmeister
    Options
    Thanks

Hey Tim thank you for the Response I am very appreciative for that information.

I will e-mail you.
    I think that Mark E.(ME) was also looking for this device as well..

Thanks Again.

Richard from Heatmeister..
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    I would like info on that as well if not too much trouble

Does a regular gas sniffer device like a Sentry trigger on CO?
  • Mark Hunt_6
    Mark Hunt_6 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Only one issue

What if the CO is not coming from the appliances that are connected to this device?

What if it is coming from the gas generator sitting outside the house that is being used during a power outage?

What if it is coming from the car that was left running in the garage by accident? (Don't laugh, it happens more often than you think)

A couple in Illinois was killed a few years ago when their neighbor came home for lunch and left his car running in his garage with the garage door OPEN. These were town houses and they were connected. The guy finished his lunch and went back to work. His neighbors died.

Shutting off their furnace, boiler or water heater would not have saved them. I will dig to see if I still have the details of this particular incident and post them if I do, but I seem to recall that the folks that died DID have a UL approved CO alarm in the house at the time. It did not go off.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here and I am psyched to see so many posting about this issue. Jim Davis, Tim McElwain and Rudy Leatherman (to name a few) have made great headway bringing this issue to light.

My worry is that a device such as you describe might give people a false sense of security, contractors included.

I'd prefer to see LOUDER, high quality, low level alarms for the hearing impaired.

JMHO.

Mark H

• Derheatmeister
    Options
    In a Perfect World..

Mark,
    In the perfect World it would turn off the gas to the entire Building regardless were the source is from!

If i had a buck for every detector with empty batteries !!

UL Approved Detectors do not do any good if the Batteries are dead!

Even the plug in 110 Volt ones may not work (Sound a Alarm) if the CO is not at the level of the occupants or the occupants are impaired somehow !

CO may rise or fall depending on the temperature!

That is why it shall be monitoring at multiple levels.

In a Perfect World it will also sound high/low frequency audio/Visual lights effects...

Maybe even Place a call to the: "The number 2 on the Stupid List Fire department"(As mentioned in another post, NOT POSTED BY ME !)

But then again: Is there a perfect world??

I think we all are just trying to "Save live's" and "Cover our Butts"..

Heatmeister :)
  • Plumdog, it depends on

how sensitive the Sniffer is set up. I have had them go off on pipe dope. Typically that should not happen unless something is leaking along with some CO mixed in.
  • Ultra-Guard info went out

in mail today. Plumdog yours goes out Monday.
  • CO detector withphone dialer

As many of you know, I'm a rep in the upstate NY market. I recently acquired a line of safety equipment that has a Water shut-off valve with 24 separate leak detectors, a smoke sensor, a CO detector and a personal alarm [wrist or necklace for your elderly or disabled person who can them push a button and get help].

If there is a problem they all connect wirelessly up to 250' to a phone dialer that can continously dial up to 6 different phone numbers and alert the recipient of the problem. The system can handle up to 50 separate sensors.

Unfortunately, the CO section was supposed to be ready in November and isn't as yet. I had requested that they give us the sensitivity we need and they are trying.

Should be great when it is ready for market.
This discussion has been closed.