Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a stupid question?

Norm Harvey
Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
I'm not entirely certain those economisers are legal in every city and town due to CO scares. Id check with your local public safety inspector.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=569&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
"We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"

Comments

• midway_2
    midway_2 Member Posts: 42
    Is this a stupid question?

The flue pipe from the Burnham 396 to the chimney is about 6-7 feet. The cellar (Basement) is kinda cool now that we have insulated all the (one pipe system) pipes. I was wondering if it is possible to rig up some type of fin attachments to the flue pipe to capture more of the heat from the flue pipe. We cannot add a radiator. Should I go back to the funny farm now?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691

it may look a bit funny, but sure why not? Drop the temp too much and you'll have other problems.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    There use to be stack economizers available

Pretty simple little design. Over sized box with say 10" collars on both ends for flue, if 10" flue. Then through the sides were say 10 or so 1.5" steel tubes with fan on one side of tube blowing air through tubes with flue gasses going through box and heating tubes. Only concern is lowering stack temp too much or rusting out tubes. Kinda like the ones you see on some old wood burning stoves.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Flue temp

Take away to much heat and you will have a bigger problem, The flue gasses will condensate before leaving the top of the chimney and you will have acid rain on the inside. and some very strange colors on your roof, not to mention added draft problems....

David
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Pick where you

want the heat. Then remove a section, or two, of your new pipe insulation. No one will tattle.

Save the economizer idea for the industrial guys who know how to make them work.
  • midway_2
    midway_2 Member Posts: 42

Thanks, guess the best and cheapest thing is to wear a heavier shirt when I go down there.
This discussion has been closed.