Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pin Hole Leak in Trane Aluminum Condenser Coil

the brazing thing is sort of hit or miss. Leak area is usually coated with oil.

Comments

• Michael Wilson_2
    Michael Wilson_2 Member Posts: 1

I found a tiny, tiny pin hole leak in a Trane aluminum condenser coil, just past where the copper from the liquid line plugs into it.

Is there any way to patch over this hole?

I've asked a few guys and they've all said no. I figured I'd ask the experts here for the final word

Thanks fellas,
    Mike
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    waiting

for an answer. I run into this ocasionally and have not found a fix yet. You have come to the right place!
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Alum-holes

Hi Michael,there are two ways that I know of .One is AlSolder 500 by AllState,it's comes in a round container 3-4"h X 1 1/2" diameter.It has solder and flux in the container.But, BEWARE, DO NOT! apply the torch heat directly to the flux or the spot to be soldered.Read the instruction sheet!Indirect heat only! Then there is the epoxy method!Allow for curing time! Good Luck!Let me add,make sure there is zero pressure in the cond unit,and the suction and liquid lines are open to the atmosphere.The oil in the comp holds enough freon in it to be a pain in the "dupa",if there is not a pressure relief provided or pull a deep enough vacuume to remove the freon from the oil as per EPA
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Aluminum

Unless you are experienced at brazing aluminum, order a new coil (if it is still availiable).
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Trane leak

We have used Super Seal on this in the past. It works great. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND DO WHAT IT SAYS. Harvey
  • Techman
    Solder

Brazing woun't work,SOLDERING will work .Just like a lot of other things in this wounderous profession WHERE else will you get the knowledge/skill if you don't give it a try? Cleaning the area is just part of TRYING to repair the cond unit.I for one will try that Super Seal stuff,what ever it is !
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    If there's one

Others are soon to develop, from my experience.

I've tried a version of the ALSolder500, but either do to misapplication or something, it didn't hold long. It did get the customer through the season (less than 5 weeks) and we replaced the system in early spring the next year.

By no means is this the final word.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    If all else fails

If all else fails, give the Lokring system a try. You can mechanically join copper to copper, copper to aluminum, or aluminum to aluminum. The tubes can be different sizes as well.
    Eugene
  • MPF
    MPF Member Posts: 50
    Sta-brite

has a flux for using their product on aluminum. Is this a new unit or an old one? Translation: They aren't making new units with alunminum coils again, are they? Chances are with that coil, if the leak is caused by any kind of corrosion, there will be others.
  • JOHNNYBOY123
    JOHNNYBOY123 Member Posts: 2
    PIN HOLE LEAK IN TRANE COIL

THERES A COMPANY CALLED DEVCON THAT MAKES A 2 PART EPOXY PART #19770.

BE SURE TO WIRE BRUSH OR SCUFF UP THE AREA WITH SANDPAPER OR EMERY CLOTH. MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS COMPLETELY EMPTY WITH THE SCHRADER (BAD-SPELL) VALVES REMOVED. BE SURE THE REPAIR AREA IS FREE OF DIRT OR GREASE(ACETONE) IS GOOD FOR THAT. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOX AS FAR AS MIXING AND CURE TIMES. OTHERWISE U SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!
  • JOHNNYBOY123
    JOHNNYBOY123 Member Posts: 2
    PIN HOLE LEAK IN TRANE COIL

THERES A COMPANY CALLED DEVCON THAT MAKES A 2 PART EPOXY PART #19770.

BE SURE TO WIRE BRUSH OR SCUFF UP THE AREA WITH SANDPAPER OR EMERY CLOTH. MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS COMPLETELY EMPTY WITH THE SCHRADER (BAD-SPELL) VALVES REMOVED. BE SURE THE REPAIR AREA IS FREE OF DIRT OR GREASE(ACETONE) IS GOOD FOR THAT. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOX AS FAR AS MIXING AND CURE TIMES. OTHERWISE U SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO!
  • slapshot
    slapshot Member Posts: 1
    Trane Aluminum Cond Repair

Trane sells a part for this exact very common leak. It is brazed to the copper line and then mechanically connected to the aluminum tubing. Surprised no one else in such a forum of "experts" was aware.
  • Techman
    Leak

I believe David Broome said that back on 8-6-08. Now that you proved yourself an "expert" ,you will be here to show more ?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I have repaired

Alum. coils by cutting out the leak and using a flare union.
This discussion has been closed.