Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Process Steam

Options
Canuck_3
Canuck_3 Member Posts: 39
Hey Fellow Wallies

I can't seem to find the bottom line on this issue and am wondering if you guys might help?

30 lb/hr steam boiler, electric, low pressure, used for process, (i.e. - no condensate return). They take cold domestic water, run it through a conventional electric water heater to preheat it to 85-90 deg F before it gets to the boiler. No pumps used here, it all works its way through on system pressure. I'm guessing that there's a PRV between the water heater and the boiler so that the boiler only gets 3-5 psi

Not a typical set-up, I understand, but it works for them. Question is - from a code standpoint, do they still require a blow-down tank, (which they don't have)? I'm interested in any jurisdictional areas but, specifically, this thing is located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks fellas!

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Blow-down tank

I am not sure of your local rationale, but a blow-down tank serves a primary purpose to allow a place for the boiler blow-off to cool (or be cooled) before going to sanitary discharge. Usually it has to be cooled to 130F or less.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.