Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stainless steel indirect eletrolasis with well water

I know this is dumb. But how about installing an Amtrol Boilermate instead. It has a plastic liner.

Comments

• John Sudano
    John Sudano Member Posts: 1
    stainless steel indirect eletrolasis with well water

I replaced a superstor approx 10-12 yrs old in 10/04 with a crown MS40 indirect, In 3/07 I had to replace tank under warranty (tank itself leaking. In early april I got a call that the tank was leaking again I found the tank itself was leaking. The house has well water and it has been tested, a liitle high in sodium, ph 6.4, and a liitle hard. Looking for info why I am having this problem?? Possibly electrolasis from a bad well pump or bad wiring to pump or just a cheap and not very well insulated pump.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Water softener?

I've heard softeners that are not operating properly can lead to hfgh chloride levels. Most all the stainless tanks now come with a warning label regarding chloride levels.

I'm not sure how you would test that in the field? Probably take a sample to a water treatment pro. You mentioned high sodium? How was that tested.

Or possibly stray electrical current from an improper ground in the wiring system. a multi meter between the tank and an earth ground may show stray voltage.

Something is causing those tanks to fail.

Enameled steel may be another option, but try to find the cause of the ss tank failure first.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.