Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Camus DynaMax Residential ModCon boilers

Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
Has anyone used these boilers yet? Just curious. Craftsmanship, ease of install, etc. TIA
Ross

Comments

• Ross_7
    hello?

Nothing?
  • Ya hearin' them crickets out there.....

It's a Gianonni. just like Munchkin, Knight, NTI and a WHOLE bunch of others out there that wrap their shell around the Gianonni core.

Appears to be Canadian

ME
  • Ross_7
    Thanks!

Thanks for the input, Mark. Couldn't find a cutaway view on the boiler, or a lot of info.
    Ross
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 284

Yes it is a clone made in Toronto. Camus quality is,,,, well,,,,, dah,,,,,Well, they are cheaper. We refuse to install the Micoflame series. We are stuck installing the Dynaflame series due to Camus being the only outfit to offer condensing small footprint boiler over 2,500,000BTU. They are spec on most of the energy efficiency retrofits.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Camus

Ross,

We installed two MicoFlame 600's..... and wished we hadn't. I can't speak for their residential line as I have no experience with this product. -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ross_7
    Thanks!

Hi Dan,

I'm always anxious to hear input on products & companies. When projects start up here at the university, our engineering dept., usually wants our input on different products that may or may not be spec'd. out. Especially if certain pieces of equipment are spec'd out "or equivalent". To prevent getting stuck with a piece of equipment that I'll have to work on at 3AM.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    locally

I have commissioned two (commercial version) at the community college and two in a K-7 school. flawless to date (about one year) with excellent combustion values and efficiencies.
  • bobbyg_12
    bobbyg_12 Member Posts: 1
    CAMUS DynaMax - Max headache?

http://www.camus-hydronics.com/DynaMAX_Performance.htm

If you go to their I&O manual starting on page 57 (piping diagrams). Those diagrams can't be right; can they???

The "boiler circulator" comes with the boiler and I am assuming it is inside the jacket, but still the piping arrangement reminds me of a parallel-series confusing nightmare.

What do you all think?

http://www.camus-hydronics.com/DynaMAX_Performance.htm
  • carter_3
    carter_3 Member Posts: 23
    camus boilers

big no no to camus. the actual product has not been on the market long enough for all the kinks to be worked out.

the warranty on the 2 largest components is limited, the burner warranty being progressive with age of the boiler.

sister building got 'burned' and are now installing a EJ Walsh product instead. there are rumblings of things gone horribly awry as new built condos are having them removed after one year.

Dee
  • carter_3
    carter_3 Member Posts: 23
    Camus Boilers

I have installed a few different Camus boilers and they have run flawlessly. Not only that, but when our technicians call the factory, they get to talk to someone and don't get dumped into voice mail. I have installed both the Dynaflame and the Dynamax series boilers. I would be interested in hearing what kind of failures people are having, and seeing the combustion certification training (and start-up reports) for those that are knocking the boilers on this site. Just like with any high efficiency boiler, if they are not started properly, you will have problems. And when I say, "not started properly" I mean, you can't just hit the switch and let them run if they fire. The company I work for is located in Colorado in the mountains. We rarely work below 8150' above sea level. Many boilers have regular intermittent failures at high elevations, the Camus boilers don't. You will not find a more tweakable boiler than a Dynaflame. You have more flexibility with the burner frequency drive than any boiler made. You can tweak the PID, de-rate, (and match the boiler closer to the load if it has been oversized), acceleration, deceleration, etc., change remote input from 0-10vdc to 4-20ma, I could go on and on about great features with these boilers. The biggest draw back at this time is the dual heat exchanger for the condensing Dynaflames, but the factory is working on a single stainless exchanger. If you are having problems with a Dynaflame, feel free to send me an email and I will get back to you within a couple hours. jw(at)t-1ms.com
  • jig
    jig Member Posts: 2
    Camus Lemons

I bought three Camus boilers about three years ago. Anything you save on gas will be eaten up by service calls. If you own one, either buy something else or get an all-inclusive service contract. The ignitors and sensors need to be changed every 3 months. They need cleaning twice a year. That should make you wonder just how efficient they really are.

All three have needed replacement pumps. There were others issues. Customer service at Camus consisted of threatening to sue me if I told anyone else how awful their boilers were.
  • Sailfish
    Sailfish Member Posts: 1
    8 service calls in 2 months on a 3 year old unit. Absaloute junk. Don't ever buy one of these pieces of crap!
    Rich_49
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    @jig

Yes, but at least it was a person threatening to sue you, and not a computer :wink:
  • rkoski
    rkoski Member Posts: 1
    Camus boilers are incredibly unreliable.

Over 11 years I had 2 installed in my house - the first one in 2011 and within 18 months I had replaced the pump, within 48 months there were issues with the controller board. After 60 months I was onto my second Camus boiler as the controller board had completely failed and parts were no longer available.

On the second boiler, the combustion fan failed after 24 months and I replaced the "new" combustion fan with the combustion pan from the first boiler (that I thankfully kept for parts). That repair lasted another 24 months until that combustion fan failed.

Stay away from this manufacturer.