To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Gas vent dampers

Friend
I am a Licensed Plumbing and Heating contractor located in Rhode Island.
Recently a problem with a vent damper on a boiler that I installed some two to three years ago reared it’s ugly head again.
Upon installation I left the vent damper switch in the normal position.
Just after the year warranty had passed a no heat call came. The vent damper was found to be faulty. I replaced the vent damper. The only thing I did different. Hoping to avoid this same no heat call in the future, was move the switch on the damper to hold open. Heat was fine and client paid the bill. OK good.
The other day. ( which is again just after warranty of the newer vent damper.) A no heat call came in. The problem is not the vent damper. The dampers wire harness has a slightly broken wire near the boiler control and the boiler fails to operate. In the morning the client pushes the cover of the L8148 in and low and behold the heat comes on.
At this point I have removed the cover of the Honeywell L8148 taken the wire harness out of its normal entrance to the control box and taped it to other conduits exiting the control. All is good. Just one thing this is not the way it should/shall be left.
I am aware that the L8148 has a fusible link that if you remove the factory plug and use a damper. The fused link burns and you can not use the factory plug again.
The client is not happy!!!! While no fault of my own. This installation has not made it through a season without a problem. All warranty’s are over. My clients do not want to pay for anything the damper, the L8148, never mind me. This is a top of the line boiler with a top of the line installation. The client paid a premium. I expect to provide many years of good quality service when I install something /anything.
This vent damper has been a thorn in my side.
Is there a way to safely by-pass this vent damper and not replace either the control or the damper?
All that being said. I am all for saving energy! Enough is enough these vent dampers have been a problem sense day-one.

Thank you for any and all information and your time.

Russell L. Hill Jr.
·

Comments

This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!