Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 MegaSteamers

Options
Chips
Chips Member Posts: 33
That’s sort of what I was doing and I got the answers that I was looking for.
Chips

Comments

• Chips
    Options

I’m getting ready to order 2 MegaSteamers and have a couple of questions. Does Burham provide any type of warranty on MegaSteamers used in a light commercial building?
    Is there any real difference between the MST288 and the MST396 other than the fuel nozzle and I=B=R rating? Will Burham provide a recommended boiler piping drawing for a multiple steam boiler system with a gravity return? I plan on installing a MST 629 as the primary boiler and the 288 or 396 as a secondary boiler. I have read all the threads on 2 boiler systems and thanks to Steamhead and all the other believers,I know it can be done efficiency. The information and drawings on pages 66 and 67 of the LAOSH are helpful but pretty basic. I think Glenn S could answer these question but I haven’t seen him around lately.
    Thanks in advance Chips
  • tk_3
    tk_3 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Wouldn't these questions be better answered by calling Burnham instead of asking here? I believe the manufcaturer knows what drawings they can supply and can address product questions.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Chips,

with two boilers, both on gravity return and with one on and one off, I think you'll have problems with the waterlines, especially if there's an automatic water feeder.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Chips
    Options

So Dan, are you saying that I will need a boiler feed tank with the associated pumps, values, traps and controls. I thought gravity return systems were self leveling if the returns are piped into a common system wet return. Is there a pressure problem that don’t understand similar to page 49 of your book?
    Thanks Chips
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    What happens

when there's a gravity return is that there will always be a pressure difference within the on and the off boiler. A one-ounce difference in pressure equals 1-3/4" of waterline. Steam is leaving the boiler very quickly and the pressure drop it creates as it moves through the piping results in the pressure difference. Water will back from the on boiler into the off boiler. Which boiler gets the automatic feeder, and what waterline will it sense? If you put the feeder in a column between the two boilers it's going to sense a third level, not what's going on in either boiler.

In addition, the off boiler acts as a condenser to the on boiler, so that level tends to rise.

In my experience, it's not a good idea to run multiple steam-heating boilers with a common return.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.