Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth Tanks???

Options
Bruce Stevens
Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
will make less sludge as the bacteria eats the steel in regular tank but not the liner in a Roth, will still make some but no where as much.

Comments

• anthony_7
    anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Roth Tank for replacement

I am looking to replace my old steel tank. I hear a lot of news on ROTH Tanks. Any feedback? Looking at the 275g model. Trying to get ideas of costs, experiences etc. Is this the cadillac of tanks? Thanks

• Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    I

think they are superior to steel,Sludge,water,bacteria etc will eventually rust any steel tank.Non-metallic tanks will not be susceptible to this.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    I agree with Bruce and Robert

I have a Roth outside at my own home . I bought it used - about 2 years old , and have had it for 2 years so far . Here's a pic of the inside . Oil level is between 1/8 and Reserve . Damn , gotta get some oil soon .

So far , no telltale oil sludge creep-up on the sides , like you'd see on a steel tank . And with the quality of oil being what it is lately , I recommend the Roth oil tank highly .
  • Tom Hopkins
    Options
    Another

advantage!Try taking a pic like that with a standard 275!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm happy with mine!

Mine has been in for better than a year now with the Roth suction assembly and absolutely noe problems whatsoever. Installed a Tiger Loop to allow the boiler to perform better with the single overhead fuel line.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Technical Development

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tanks

I have had both kinds of tanks. The next one I would buy would be steel. Poly tanks have a smell permeability issue. But know body wants to admit to it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    not if SMP treated

The DWT it TIT tanks are great. DO NOT pump your sludge from your steel tank to a plastic tank unless you TREAT the oil.

As far as the smell is concerned: Roth has chosen not to coat or "etch" their tanks allowing the tanks to occasionally smell. Schuetz on the other hand treats theirs with a SMP coating, no smell. Great tanks. Schuetz is better.

wheels
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Options
    Suction Assembly

HO here with Roth tank for a year. Can't say I can smell the oil any more than with the old boiler and old tank. I assume the smell referred to is an oil smell. I do smell the oil though, and if that could have been eliminated with the aforementioned coating, too bad Roth didn't do that.

The only problems I've seen mentioned on the wall have been with the Roth suction assemblies. Consensus seems to be that either an Oventrop floating suction assembly is better, and best of all would be hard-piped assembly, which Roth also recommends in their installation guide. One of their bulletins also advises that certain oil additives can cause problems with the rubber tubing in their own suction assembly. In our case, tubing was replaced when burner wouldn't fire consistently, but that was done without being fully sure that was the problem. Eventually tiger loop was installed and there have been no problems since.
  • Tom Hopkins
    Options
    I've

never heard of Roth tanks allowing the odor of oil to pass through them and find it quite hard to believe.

• Unknown
    Options
    suction line assembly

David,

The suction line assembly increases vacuum to the point of verging on bringing the air out of solution in the oil. I stopped selling them many years ago and switched to the flanged duplex bushing and a firomatic valve. To me this is the only sure fire way and I have not had a problem since.

wheels
  • Unknown
    Options
    No problems with mine

I've had my Roth 275 in for well over a year now with no problems whatsoever. I went with their suction assembly, ran the one pipe overhead to the boiler and installed a Tigerloop. Boiler purrs like a kitten and primed immediately on startup with the new tank with no bleeding. I ran the old tank down to about 10 gallons and kept it connected to the boiler but moved it out of the way while installing the new tank. This way there was no "old" oill to transfer over. I have not experienced any odor at all with the new tank.

I did purchase an extra 2" female connector and have it rigged up with a Bushing and copper draw tube in the event I ever have a problem with the Roth draw assembly. The picture here was right after installation before it was filled. For those with keen eyesight, the little offset in the cold water piping overhead was to offset around the "old" fill pipe. All of that cold water piping is now insulated to prevent condensation from dripping down on the new tank. It dripped on the old tank for decades but ran off whereby with the Roth it gets trapped in the top. Good company to have dealt with and based right here in my home state... Rhode Island.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    smell

Robert,

The plastic oil tanks for the most part do not have a "leaking" smell permiating from them. I have seen, or smelled one occasionally. Roth has figured that it is such a small problem not to add the cost of the SMP to their tanks.

I can not tell you what makes one Roth tank smell permiable and another tank not. Out of hundreds of installations I have seen only one or two allow a smell, and there was no oil around and never a leak.

After supplying a dew years and hundereds of Schuetz tanks I've never had a oil smell complaint.

I also admit that I have been on steel tank installations and smelled worse coming from the tank and gauge :-)

wheels
  • Unknown
    Options
    past tense

Glenn,

Roth WAS located in RI. A nice office in Kingstown and the old quonset navy yard! They have relocated all of there operations to Watertown, NY at their new manufacturing plant.

wheels
  • John Piro
    John Piro Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Do you need

to use unions on the fill and vent pipe? I figured they are already part of the tank and why spend extra money and have another joint that could possibly leak.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Swivels, no unions

John,

Check out the installation book. YOu already have the unions as the fittings on the top of the tank. Like you said, why one more joint?

ALl oil tanks get shorter & wider when filled, steel or PE. The use of swivel joints is strongly suggested on ALL oil tank installations, Roth & Schuetz are not exempt from this.

wheels
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Steve

I was aware that they were producing the product now in Watertown but was not aware that they moved out of Quonset Point.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Unions

The unions were used as convenience more than anything else as the fill and vent were piped from two directions to ensure proper alignment and pitch with the existing penetration through the old granite foundation. It also allowed for use of precut nipples that he had on the truck in lieu of a few extra cut and threaded joints. To allow for any vertical or lateral movement we spray foamed the primary penetrations through the granite and after the tank was filled I mudded it over on the outside with a thin coat of sand mix.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Hmm

My limited experience (two 275 Gal Roth tanks in a 8' x 20') room leaves me in the "no smell" camp. Granted, we have an outside air supply (combustion air) which may help. Perhaps the coated Shütz tanks are a better choice for basements which are not ventilated, but occupied.
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    the roth's breeze through a lot of codes..

gotem speced for an extra fuel storage on the roof, for a disel generator!!!
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    Roth tanks

I have 3 275's and experience none of the problems expressed in the other posts. No odor, no air problems.....a Tiger loop takes care of that and my tanks are 40 feet from the boiler and have an overhead line. The tanks beat all the other competitors in that they don't bulge when full, have a better and easier to use piping kit, and are just a great product. They are required here in Maine in some applications. Personally, I think that should be the norm...steel tanks are trouble waiting to happen.
  • Unknown
    Options
    should read...

DWT/Tank-in-Tank Style tanks breeze through a lot of codes.

Must be due to some great laid ground work (ie NFOA31 and UL) and some great PR.

• RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Who's going to

drag the hose up to fill those puppys? I believe 31 still says 60 gallons max up there.

This discussion has been closed.