Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel Oil Tank Bung

Options
Paul Fredricks_3
Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
Do you mean the tapped 2" opening, like in the top of a 275? I installed a new 275 years ago and a pressure test showed that the weld around the bung was leaking. I called the manufacturer and they said to hit it with a ball peen hammer. That did the trick.

Comments

• Water-Lou Mancusi
    Water-Lou Mancusi Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Fuel Oil Tank Bung

Is there anyone out there that can help me locate a seller of #2 Fuel Oil Tank Bungs? Is there anyone out there that installs bungs residentially on in use tanks in the Long Island area? Is there anyone out there that fixes leaking bungs on residential fuel oil tanks?
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 553
    Options
    If

the weld is leaking I would replace the tank ASAP.This is not an area to cut corners,a leak could be financially catastrophic. 100's of times the cost of a new tank.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

This was 20 years ago. A call to the manufacturer said this is the way they are repaired. If we returned it that is what the supply house would do, so we did it.Never had a problem. Still seems weird to me too, but we followed manufacturers recommendations at the result was good.
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 553
    Options
    Paul

I was directing that to the original poster. I did things 30 years ago that I wouldn't consider today also,times have changed!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    What is the problem

Lou,

Why do you need this service?

Exactly what is wrong with your tank?

Describe the leak or problem in detail.

Ed Carey
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

That is what they are called in the oil business
  • Water-Lou Mancusi
    Water-Lou Mancusi Member Posts: 11
    Options
    What is the Problem

Ed,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have a top(suction) feed from a cylindrical fuel oil tank that I want to convert to gravity feed by welding a bung at the bottom.
    I also have an additional standard 275 GA fuel oil vertical tank that leaks at the vent bung.
  • Pipes
    Pipes Member Posts: 1
    Options

You can use forged steel couplings, they have plenty of meet to weld to. Just find a welder that knows the proper way to disperse any air in the tank with inert gases.

Good luck
  • Larry C_11
    Larry C_11 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    2\" Bung.

If it is just a 2" NPT welded pipe fitting, McMaster Carr sells weld in pipe fittings.

That being said, modifying a tank is opening yourself up to a lot of liability if it fails.

Larry C
This discussion has been closed.