Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quick Question

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
I would say at 170F AWT, under 500 as a base assumption. Possibly 450 or less given that it is recessed (probably not too deep- you need those studs!) and that the air has to take an extra turn before exiting the enclosure.

If this holds true, there would seem to be between 33.75 MBH and 37.5 MBH potential output, corresponding to between 31 and 34 BTUH per SF. In a zero degree design climate, that would seem reasonable to me if the house was insulated and sealed well.

As you note, there is no point in installing more boiler than you have radiation to support, not to mention installing more boiler than you need, period.

Strapping a jet engine on a canary comes to mind :)

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    went to look at a house yesterday

kinda of an independant review...noisy operation, high gas bills. you the kind.

The house is about 1100 sq.ft. adn the installer put in a 100k boiler. My first thought was too big, but I was not there to point fingers only get facts.

The connected radiation is about 75' of a baseboard type emmiter. But there is no information I can find. It is fin tube, 1/2" has 1 1/4" opeining on the bottom and top with a louvre to control air flow. but it is sunk in the wall and not surface mounted like a baseboard.

Any idea what the output would be? I am tempted to use the 600 btu/ft as it looks EXACTLY like a baseboard, but if it is a convector adn has different outputs I do not want to give the wrong info.

Sorry there is no picture as the digital cam is in the shop.

Thanks all.

M
  • Mitch_4
    Thanks Brad

I guesstinates the radiation at no more than about 40k..everyoine else is " no that should be good size for the boiler, but not ONE!! measured the radiation!! No heat loss...total frustration.

they added an additional grand of accessoris to try and fix it..and gee...no improvement..go figure
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    You could be coy and tell the Owners

that what they really need is much more house. :)

I share your pain.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    with 1/2\" radiation,

You likely won't even use that much heat if it is all on one continuous loop.

Noel
  • Mitch_4
    it is

nuff said.

the installation itself is nice and clean, ggod soldering, straight lines, but it was a guy that has been "doin this for 40 years..." no pumping away, and a few other "newfangled ideas" he has no use for....

oh well..I will submit my report, and then let them hash it out
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I like Brad's analogy, Tim :)

This discussion has been closed.