Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will Ultrafin work and not make noise?

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
anything that will minimize the temperature swings will lessen expansion noise.

There are plenty of ways to build a constant circ system, TRv's 3 way ZV's, injection mix stations, etc. It gets a little more involved if you need multiple supply temperatures.

At the design phase try to calculate the emitters so all supplies are within 10- 15 degrees of one another. Add all the requires tempersatures and divide by the number of (average)

Siggy's December 2003 column in PM mag has some excellent constant circ ideas. Find it archived at www.pmmag.com

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Gene Davis_2
    Gene Davis_2 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Ultrafin? Expansion ticking noise quieted?

What techniques or materials are used to minimize the tick-tick-tick noise from expansion and contraction?

A heating pro that uses this told me that only a specific type of PEX, something with aluminum content (PEX-AL-PEX???) should be used, not ordinary PEX, and when that is used, everything is quiet and works well.

What say you?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Installation care

has the most to do with systems making, or not making, noise :)

I agree the composite tube is a better match with the Ultra Fin or any "floating" system.

Be sure the loop ends are free to move. Most noise issues are created where the loop ends go thru a drilled hole. Use a large enough hole to allow the tube to move and/ or add an insulator.

Composite tube does move around less, but it does still expand and contract. Allow for this movement.

Use a hole drilling table to assure you don't compromise the joists or manufactures I-joists, by drilling too large of a hole in the bearing area of the structural components. Same for bearing studs.

And of course, do a room by room heat load before you start installing. Radiant floor, and their and installation methods and options do have some limits.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • LarryC_4
    LarryC_4 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Won't continous low speed circulation reduce expansion noise?

Won't continous low speed circulation reduce expansion noise? Do you need to use a Mod-con or a buffer tank to minimize the temperature changes?
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Avoid contact with wood

They make violins, guitars, and pianos out of wood because its a great conductor of sound. You want to minimize that direct contact with the piping where possible. As Hot Rod suggested, use an insulator of some kind. I would suggest suspension clamps, and pick up talons. See the pics

Also agree the aluminum pex products will have the least expansion potential
This discussion has been closed.