Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

G.E. boiler off the floor

Options
I've never installed so much heating equipment in such hot weather . Past years things slowed down through June , July , August . Many people are just upgrading what they got - who wouldn't with the expected price for oil to hover in the 3 buck range this coming season ?

This one was down though . A packing on a valve had a very , very slow drip . Factor in the leak for 5 decades and the coil plate turned to dust .

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Weil Mclain Gold 3L

special made to stand on the custom metal plate and fit the cover back on . This is one of the types of homes that noone wants to replace the boiler in . But Kenny was there and he makes me laugh so much the customer thinks we're nuts .
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Hey Ron,

Nice work as usual. Will that old cover/cabinet fit over the new burner? One of the things I remember about G.E.'s were that the burners are on the top. Does W/M have a special tube for that burner so it keeps the same footprint?

My back hurts just looking at that one! Chris
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chris

Yep , the old cabinet does fit over the new stuff . The pic of the cabinet was actually taken after the job was done .

When the Gold series first came out we used Beckett , Carlin , even the QB180 . A few years later Riello made the 3 inch blast tube and we've been using them since . Even with the air choked off with the cabinet in place , these babies burn clean . Thanks alot Chris .
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options

That was 2 guys and you got home by 4PM ? Idon't know what you make but you deserve more!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Ron Jr.

Thats just scary. I hope you had more than just the two of you to hoist the new one in place (or you could possibly have something in common with ol' Lance A). Great job..............................Again!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I would love

I would love the chance to spend a month with you guy's learning all of your secret's. You do some incredible work.
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    LCHMB,

I may be wrong, but I'm gonna guess that the scenerio is as follows...

Ron Jr. has been doing these installs for a while and the guys that work with him (lucky dudes!) have also seen enough of them. They all know the routine down to a tee, and just move instinctively. The right hand knows what the left is doing and it flows like a perfectly performed ballet.

That is the only thing I can think of that would make such horrible and testing installs become works of art, in such short order.

Of course, Ron is going to add a few adjuncts to this . I'm sure there are times when Kenny has knocked himself out running into a pipe...or Sal has rendered himself useless face first into a wall, or one or the other does something SOOO stupid that it takes 15 minutes for the laughter to subside. Not to mention the cuts, burns and other assorted bruises associated with 2 or 3 guys working in such tight quarters. C'mon Ron, tell us some "Tales from the Basement". Chris
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Wow

Chris, I agree. A real good installer (I am not)just goes on autopilot - zip, zip, zip. I would be standing there pondering my next move. Ron and his Boys are totally awesome. I would say it's too bad these Homeowners probably don't realize what they are getting with these Guys.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    I'd love...

... to set up a time-lapse camera to create a whirlwind documentary of how they do it. Better yet, a reality show!

Ron, Kenny, that's some amazing work, as usual. My back hurts just imagining getting that WM into place. The end result is not only a beautiful tidy install, it even fits in the old space!
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Bill,

NOT just a great installer, but a great installation TEAM!

I think it is the KEY to Ron's great work. I may be wrong...Lets wait for a word from THE MAN. Chris
  • Unknown
    Options
    The secret to this kind of job is .........

we cheat our hineys off . It starts at the shop , where we see a Polaroid of the boiler ( most times ) . The times we don't see a pic , we have an educated guess of what's there because these boilers are always the same except for zone add-ons .

I pick the stuff we need right off the shelves in the shop - one box for black fittings , one for copper , another for oil , teflon , electrical boxes . This way there is almost no running to the truck for missed items .

When we get to the job one of us dismantles the old GE while the other puts the new one together outside . We can usually have the new one up on the shelf within 2 hours if all goes well .

We do use a hi-jack to bring the boilers up and down . The GE is tiny but the steel is thick . The new Weil all dressed up is around 600 lbs . I've heard of others that would do it all by hand . That's just too much weight for me .

When the boiler is up there , 2 of us knock out the piping - one guy stands on the hi-jack and the other stands on a step ladder . Once the piping is done , one of us will assemble the oil burner and the other will run the wires .

All in all it isn't a bad job - the truck is only 15 feet away same level , it's always within 5 minutes of my home , and we are usually done on time . Like Chris said , it's very much a team effort , and when you do enough it can run like clockwork . But when Kenny gets on a roll , like when he started singing to me that I'm the 1st 36 year old curmudgeon , things come to a halt from laughing .

Thank you very much everyone for the kind words .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Scott

These are in maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the homes in Levittown , NY . Best guess is 5,000 or so homes . And there's still plenty out there with the original 55+ year old GE , still pluging along . Thanks Scott .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Techheat

the speed we get them done is from practice . The 1st one I did was a disaster , we didn't finish till 9pm and the people were IRATE ! We now get them done by 3pm average . It comes from knowing exactly what will go where without giving it much thought . Almost everyone of them are the same so it becomes easy fast . Thanks alot Techheat .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Naa

A good ol hijack does the work for us . My back is shot and I'd never try to lift that by hand . And nope , no performance enhancing " herbs " for this body . I want to slowly poison myself the natural way - with hops and barley . Thanks Robert .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lchmb

I'd love the opportunity to work side by side with you , buddy . Your work is amazing too . Thanks alot .
  • Unknown
    Options

> ... to set up a time-lapse camera to create a

> whirlwind documentary of how they do it. Better

> yet, a reality show!

>

> Ron, Kenny, that's some

> amazing work, as usual. My back hurts just

> imagining getting that WM into place. The end

> result is not only a beautiful tidy install, it

> even fits in the old space!

• Unknown
    Options
    You know

now that you mentioned it , i think my camera has a time lapse feature built in . That is a great idea , I'm going to read the instructions tomorrow . Of course I'll have to edit out some mature content .... Thanks for the idea and the kind words Constantin .
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Maybe

Maybe next year I'll schedule a vacation and come out to the big city and work some with you..I promise to stay out of the way!! :) If you want to do a nice project join me next week. I start a complete overhaul on a house, tearing out the gas system, all the radiant and all controls. New oil boiler with all new baseboard. The boiler room is probably as big as some of the houses you work in. I'll just make sure to draw you a map so you won't get lost in all that space!!
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options

Ron,
    You guys are lucky to have such a great team. I am very envious of your skill and miss my old team from years back.

Outstanding work. Beautiful, as usual. I wish we could work together.

Each time I see an old GE, my back goes out.

Used to remove these from brownstones in Manhattan alot. Don't even try to cut one apart! The resulting soot cloud can create a death curtain for blocks!

I know there's one still in the basement on 131st st. It won't fit through the door to get it out. tried to torch it, but only made a mess.
    That's the same job where we used a Tonka Dump truck to deliver the JOT6. Yes, a Tonka truck. My helper forgot the hand truck at the shop that day, and the HO needed heat. Oh, did I mention it was Christmas Eve?

This discussion has been closed.