Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! Oil dripping from Beckett AFG

Options
Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
Afterdrip on a burner is common. Burners with air inlet dampers allow the nozzle assy. to heat. The oil expands and drips from the nozzle. The burner should be pitched into the boiler, so the oil will drain into the combustion area and be burned of the next on cycle. As previously sugested, impingement, a leaking pump shaft seal. dripping nozzle line, poor nozzle pattern, etc. could cause it.

Comments

• JAMES JACQUES
    JAMES JACQUES Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Oil dripping from Beckett AFG burner! Help!

I just built a new home and the plumber put in a Weil McClain Gold Oil Boiler with Beckett AFG burner - I noticed a few drips of reddish oil on the ground below the burner. I had them come back and they tested the oil line and found no leak. The dripping continues, a couple of drops a day and it appears to be coming from the motor (right) side of the burner, not the left side where the oil line and pump are. Any advice would be appreciated, only thing I can think of is that electrical motor leaking from a bad seal? Can this be repaired or should it be replaced.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options

Your burner is dripping in the air tube and it is leaking out where the air tube joins the burner. This is caused by after-drip because of air in the oil lines or oil hitting the flame cone and running out. Could cause a sooting problem down the road.
  • jrc2905
    jrc2905 Member Posts: 98
    Options

There is a weep hole in the bottom of all oil burners. This lets the oil out if there is something wrong and oil works it's way back. Your problem could be from several adjustments being wrong. You need a good oil burner tech to check it out.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Is the Plumber

Is the Plumber an oil burner guy? In my area it varies, some are some aren't. My company (an oil company) installs our own equipment but we do start ups and service for a few plumbers also. Call him back and ask him politely if he does oil service or mainly installs, at this point you can figure if he can fix it or if someone needs to be called in. An oil burner is not suppose to leak. It is usually something simple but a little oil goes a long way and it can be a son of a gun to find sometimes.

Good Luck,

Leo
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    from what you noticed.....

i would turn off the boiler open the transformer check the fan.if there was oil on the small blower fan i would examine the fitting to the gun. and see if it was leaking with the use of a white paper towel. then i would open the door too the boiler and look at the end cone....i think you would benifit by calling someone over to check this for you .although simple to fix ,there are some things that might be too easy to overlook.
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Oil Drips

> I just built a new home and the plumber put in a

> Weil McClain Gold Oil Boiler with Beckett AFG

> burner - I noticed a few drips of reddish oil on

> the ground below the burner. I had them come back

> and they tested the oil line and found no leak.

> The dripping continues, a couple of drops a day

> and it appears to be coming from the motor

> (right) side of the burner, not the left side

> where the oil line and pump are. Any advice would

> be appreciated, only thing I can think of is that

> electrical motor leaking from a bad seal? Can

> this be repaired or should it be replaced.

• Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Oil Drips

On a new installation I would suspect an adjustment is not correct. Nozzle size vs pump pressure, Z dim, of burner to the boiler, Loose end cone, Oil bleeder loose, Oil line flare dirty or burred. On an older job all of the above and also several other items. Its in your best interest to get an Oil burner Tech there instead of a plumber.
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    oil drip

pin pointing a small drip is hard but not impossible use powder around the area you suspect the drip i have had a few nozzle lines that had a bad flare causes exsess oil to go to nozzle also the squirrel cage will blow the oil from the line then it drip frpm the bottom of burner
  • jrc2905
    Options

What model primary control do you have?
  • JC from PA
    JC from PA Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Oil Leak under burner

Every response could be the problem, there are so many things that can cause it. One more for the list is that 'the plumber' never set up the burner for the recomended draft over the fire. I believe the AFG requires
    -.02 draft overfire. With out the proper draft the head and nozzle will over heat causing the oil to expand and drip out the end of the nozzle in the off cycle. Ask the 'plumber' if he has a PPMCSA master burner certifaction, if not call burner man who does.
  • Rusty Powers
    Rusty Powers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    The fix

We see this alot with Becketts- other than the drip, they're an awesome burner. Our solution for this (for the last 15 yrs) has been a small bead of silicone in the bottom of the blast tube where it meets the chasis. We've spent countless hours trying to find the cause, and finally settled for just dealing with the symptom.

Rusty
  • jrc2905
    Options

There is always a reason for this problem. I have found that 90% of the time it is a heat problem at the nozzle, the other 10% is nozzle assembley too far back.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    So what...

..do you do about a heat problem at the nozzle? Would that be a draft or firebox problem ?

Ed
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Usually a draft problem

at shutdown, answer cleancut pump or solenoid valve with a primary control that lets the burner fan run a couple of minutes after shutdown while the fuel suppy gets cut off. or a longer postpurge if you have a powervent. If its a draft problem during run time draft inducer time.
  • jrc2905
    Options

I have found that excess heat at the nozzle is “usually” caused by the electrodes too close to the nozzle. This is why I think interrupted duty ignitions are a good idea. After 15 seconds the positions of the electrodes do not matter, there is no more spark, no more heat on the nozzle. A sure sign is a black burn mark on the nozzle.

Is this the answer to all oil drip problems, no, I have found systems that had air in the line, nozzle assemblies too far back. When working on this problem, shut the system off and open the transformer and watch the bottom inside of the air tube, you can see the oil work it’s way back to the burner “if that is the source of the oil.”
  • Wild West
    Wild West Member Posts: 4
    Options

Drip in burner tube go to R E Michel and get you a Pro Tek valve.It replaces standard strainer on Delavan nozzles up to2.00 gph. Improves burner performance by eliminating fuel drizzle and afterburning at burner shutdown. requires no adjustment of pump supply pressure. cat. # 4m1276e we use them and they work well
    James
This discussion has been closed.