Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heat Zones

Options
Garret
Garret Member Posts: 111
I believe the easiest solution is to put TRV's (thermostatic radiator valves) on the radiators. That effectively gives you a separate zone for every room.

If you have one-pipe steam, you can put TRV vents on.... For two-pipe, you have to replace the supply valves, which is a bit more costly.

Comments

• John_116
    John_116 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Adding zones to steam heat

I am looking to purchase an old 6,000 sq ft house that is adequately heated by a 5 year old steam boiler. The pipes to the various radiators branch in the boiler room about 3 feet from the boiler. Is it possible to add zones with separate thermostats to some or all of the separate branches? Thank you.
  • Al Letellier_18
    Al Letellier_18 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    zoning steam

I agree with Garrett. It's very difficult to zone steam heat, especially in an existing system. TRV,s work great and you can use a cycling control to limit the operation of the boiler in relation to outdoor temp, much like outdoor reset on a water system. Same idea, different technology. Consult a steam pro in your area for details
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If this will be used as a single-family house

with a thermostat in the main living areas, use your TRVs in the rooms you will normally keep cooler than the main rooms. Bedrooms and guest rooms are two great places to do this. TRVs act as limiters, shutting off the steam (on 2-pipe with no vents on the radiators) or the exiting air (on one-pipe or two-pipe with rad vents) so the room won't exceed the TRV's setpoint.

Don't use TRVs in the area where the thermostat is. This may restrict heat to that area, fooling the thermostat into making the boiler run longer.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.