Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

European water heaters

Options
Christian Egli
Christian Egli Member Posts: 277
Well, considering oil heat is cheaper per unit of heat than propane, I do not think you would save money from converting your oil heater to a European style tankless heater.

Tankless heaters provide on demand hot water, and burn either natural gas or propane. There is a great variety of them on the market.

Tankless heaters really shine when you use them sporadically, for instance in a weekend home. When used off and on all day long, as I suspect your parents do, the operating efficiency may not be all that different from a standing tank set-up.

But if you think your current system is not running efficiently, have it checked out. Oil burners require maintenance. Maybe you need to change the on-off temperature settings at which the fire goes off.

Best wishes.

Comments

• Peter Rozano
    Peter Rozano Member Posts: 17
    Options
    European water heaters

My grandfather moved up to Maine. His house is heated by a hot water (oil) and he runs propane for cooking. I also learned that the boiler runs a hot water line to a blue domed hot water vessel that, I assume transfers heat from the boiler to the domestic hot water. The oil burner seemd to kick on a bit too often and I suspect this is an expensive operation for a couple on a fixed income.

In Europe, I've seen "on-demand" gas water heaters bolted to the wall. While you do laundry and take a shower at the same time with these units, I asume: (i) they are substantially cheaper to operate than his current set-up; and (ii) they will run on propane.

Does any one know much about my grandfather's set-up? Is it as expensive as I suspect. What do you know about "on=demand" European-style water heaters? Are they as efficient as I expect? Are they reliable? How much do they cost (to purchase and maintain)? Is the change-over economically feasible for a couple on fixed income?

Thanks.

Pete
  • Nron_13
    Nron_13 Member Posts: 164
    Options

the boiler may have no controls to limit tempature for warm days and maybe running to meet a limit rater than a call for heat to the water tank , tekmar and danfoss HBX and others make controls that will compensate for weather conditions that will help them save money on there system , have it checked you may have one already but maybe its not set properly ?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    May i say that an indirect is a good thing...

however, i would say that an on demand system Paloma or Renai or something along those lines would be an asset to an elderly couple as thier water useage may not be all that high in the course of thier remaining days..a propane fired paloma that preheated the water into their home might be all that they might need..you could shut the boiler off at a certain temp and run the water thru the indirect and then thru the paloma and he costs might go down .... the other option might be to put different controls on the boiler and blue bottel that allowed the temp to fall off only to revive the boiler upon a call for heat or a prioritized call for hot water... it is something a guy would have to sorta see and then determine the applicabilities as it were......there are ways to wring every btu possible out of systems with relatively inexpensive sensors and relays we have some water heaters like you mention some friends swear up and down point of use are the least expensive to operate overall as they do not particularily maintain large quantities of heated water on hand"at the ready" as it were....no matter how well insulated the holding tank...with a modulating point of use on demand system i would think that just might have a great deal of validity.
  • Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Toyotomi Oil-fired on demand hot water heater

> My grandfather moved up to Maine. His house is

> heated by a hot water (oil) and he runs propane

> for cooking. I also learned that the boiler runs

> a hot water line to a blue domed hot water vessel

> that, I assume transfers heat from the boiler to

> the domestic hot water. The oil burner seemd to

> kick on a bit too often and I suspect this is an

> expensive operation for a couple on a fixed

> income.

>

> In Europe, I've seen "on-demand" gas

> water heaters bolted to the wall. While you do

> laundry and take a shower at the same time with

> these units, I asume: (i) they are substantially

> cheaper to operate than his current set-up; and

> (ii) they will run on propane.

>

> Does any one

> know much about my grandfather's set-up? Is it

> as expensive as I suspect. What do you know

> about "on=demand" European-style water heaters?

> Are they as efficient as I expect? Are they

> reliable? How much do they cost (to purchase and

> maintain)? Is the change-over economically

> feasible for a couple on fixed

> income?

>

> Thanks.

>

> Pete

• Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Toyotomi Oil-fired on demand hot water heater

is the way to go. 86 lbs and 12" wide it will give them all the hot water they need. Simple to operate and simple to install. I have one in my own house and with 4 family members, 2 bathrooms and lots of laundry it has used less than a tank (275 gal) in more than a year. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Go here to see this:
    http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/OM-148.html
This discussion has been closed.