Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators gone! Heat pump in!

Options
A local guy just threw out his 3 year old gas boiler and all the radiators to make room for an air source heat pump.
He has lived happily with hydronics through several winters until he got some flood damage in the basement this summer. Without looking, I told him a new gas valve and cleaning would probably get him in good shape again. But his insurance company wanted the boiler gone, and the electric company offered a FREE hot water heater! All it took to clinch it was an HVAC guy who understands "quick and cheap" to clinch the deal. But in this case, I think even replacing the existing boiler would have been cheaper than adding ductwork. (he didn't ask me and I didn't bid)
How do you think he'll like his new system? Kevin

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    He'll hate it

and he's the kind of customer you don't need.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Options
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    radiators

Some people can't be educated.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    you can

not fix Stupid. Just Smile wave and move on.
  • ttekushan
    ttekushan Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Not another one...

What really frosts my shorts (and theirs will feel mighty frosty with the new "heat") is that the damage done by ill-conceived "updates" is usually prohibitively expensive to reverse. From now on, whoever lives there will live with the mistake.

-Terry
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Options
    And they

.... and they lived miserably ever after.........

I had friends who lived in condos who had forced air heat pumps. We live in CT. and it can get down to 0 or below. Even at 70° inside they always felt cold, always cool air blowing. Reversing valves failing and units frosting up. Early in my career I had no experience with refigeration I went to look anyway for them when they had no heat. The condensor was a great big block of ice the frost was at least a foot thick. Now this friend lives in a radiantly heated home.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Bad choice

Heat pumps just don't work below 40* or so - even here in the SC mountains (hills?) we hit 20's & below throughout the winter. Radiant can't be beat!
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    wise words...

... from the little that we have been told thus far, if a silly insurance request and utility incentive is all it takes to make a customer switch, he/she is either the village idiot or there have been more issues than he/she is letting on.

Maybe they always wanted central AC...

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Can anyone say Swiss Cheese?

*~/:) quickly chop in 6,8 10 " rounds ovals and flats and the place will have no need for outside air sensors :)especially should they happen to have all this being roughed in by the guy whos ceiling was Raining condensation ..He REFUSED to hear one word...three months later.... Man i wish my computer hadent dumped id pump his post right back on this tag just for the elucidation of the unwary.....
This discussion has been closed.