Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not a Residential System

I have cousins in southwestern South Dakota who tell of a daytime high of zero degrees..... Steam is the perfect system in your area since most of it drains dry if the boiler shuts down, so freezing damage is limited.

If you get stuck, I've been known to travel to consult on these glorious old systems. You can e-mail me at allsteamedup@verizon.net (office) or steam.head@verizon.net (home). I'd be coming from Baltimore.

"Steamhead"

Comments

• LoriMae
    LoriMae Member Posts: 13
    Not a Residential System

My "home" is a 1906 hotel. Three stories, approx. 3000 sq.ft. each, full basement. Up until ten years ago the one-pipe steam system was coal. Now it is propane (the big ol' system still there).

Everything I have read regards residential systems. I am assuming the same rules apply? We are in the process of insulating the pipes, pitching the rads, etc.

However, the problem we have is temp on the second floor (third floor is currently sealed off). The thermostat is in the lobby. During sunny days, the radiant heat keeps the room real warm. The second floor is really cold. When the sun goes down and the system kicks in, the second floor still remains approx. five degrees cooler.

The "expert" in our area says to crank the pressure up.

Any suggestions?
  • It's the same, only bigger

Sounds like an air venting problem, which is easy to fix. Do NOT turn up the boiler's pressure.

To see an example of how big one-pipe steam can get, and how easily it can be vented properly, go here:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=29563&mc=53

I'm curious- where are you located? We almost never hear about recent usage of coal in a residential or light commercial setting.....
  • LoriMae
    LoriMae Member Posts: 13

We are in Minot, ND.

I think you are probably right. The previous owners (since 1954) have done no upgrades of any kind to the hotel and I was really surprised there was a "new" boiler. I am thinking the vents have been removed over the years and plugged. I have been on a search (is it really this hard to find?) to find the vents on the end of the mains. So far no luck. There are a lot of interesting things in the basement, so it is hard to get to some of the runs.

No worry on turning the pressure up. I was actually thinking of turning it down. It is set at about 1 to 1 1/2#'s.

• t. tekushan
    t. tekushan Member Posts: 141
    thermostat placement

also consider thermostat with several temp sensors that can take an average. This is however not a substitute for proper system balance.
This discussion has been closed.